Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees share in the ownership of the business and are empowered to make a difference?
Organizational Context and Job Purpose
INEOS Nitriles is a global chemicals business with sales volume of 1200 kte and revenue in excess of $2.4 billion. The Nitriles business has two manufacturing operations in the US and one in Europe along with offices and headquarters in Rolle, Switzerland and Aurora, Illinois near Chicago. The Nitriles Business’ primary products include acrylonitrile, hydrogen cyanide, and acetonitrile. Additionally, Nitriles also has a Plant at the Lima Site that produces catalyst for internal use, globally within Ineos, and for other Acrylonitrile producers. The INEOS Nitriles Plant at Lima is part of an industrial campus which includes a refinery and chemical complex. INEOS shares services, utilities, products, and feedstocks with four adjacent manufacturing facilities: Nutrien (ammonia, urea, nitric acid), Fort Amanda Specialties (chelates), Ashland (1,4-butanediol), and Cenovus (propylene, fuels and refined oil products).
This Safety Specialist’s primary role is to implement, manage and monitor safety programs, policies and procedures that meet OSHA, INEOS, and other applicable requirements. This is accomplished through hands-on involvement as well as overall program ownership.
They must become knowledgeable of manufacturing processes and their safety hazards and risks, maintenance/construction processes, safety procedures and systems, emergency response procedures and systems, and behavioral based safety concepts. Position requires expertise in developing safety processes and procedures including effective implementation and ongoing maintenance of safety systems. Position also requires expertise in the management of Contractor Safety Training, LOTO/Permitting Systems, Statistics, and Hazard Communication.
Major challenge is to help drive the safety culture changes at Lima as we drive our safety culture towards and Interdependency and achieve an injury and incident free workplace. The Specialist must learn the current safety program, challenge status quo thinking, and identify improvements in the overall safety program and help drive improvements in SHE performance while being a team player and serving all stakeholders on site.
This position will serve on the Emergency Response Team and support the site security program. As a member of the Emergency Response Team, they will act as a resource in dealing with emergency spills and releases, both on-site and off-site.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of working with SHE team members, employees, contractors, and managers to help an organization progress towards an incident and injury free workplace.
The Total Quality Management System shall be incorporated into all job activities. All job activities should be executed in a safe and efficient manner consistent with the INEOS 20 Principles.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Champions the INEOS 20 Safety Principles and the INEOS Nitriles Culture of Prevention.
- Champions Field Safety Presence by spending a minimum of a third of their time in the field engaging contractors, maintenance, and operators. Role models engagement, coaches others, sets expectations and ensures all have the appropriate mindsets and behaviors to work safely.
- Conducts Safety observations and field audits. Supports the behavior-based safety program for the site and provides information on the process to the Lima Leadership Team as requested.
- Document owner for Safety Procedures ensuring they are properly maintained, deployed, and are effective.
- Acts as consultant to Operations Management and all employees on safety issues and concerns. Maintains a proactive customer service outlook.
- Develops and effectively implements safety systems, processes, procedures, audits, and policies.
- Coordinates Contractor Safety Program.
- Plans, develops, and conducts safety training as necessary for contractors and employees, including regulatory updates
- Lead or participate in safety incident investigations and root cause analyses. Manages the Incident Reporting System and coordinates root cause investigation process. Coordinates statistical safety information and monitors for trends and takes correct action based upon the data. Supports and/or serves on various Lima Safety committees.
- Conducts internal safety audits and inspections, reviews processes for regulatory compliance and internal company expectations and tracks corrective action closure through Incident Reporting System.
- Works within the Lima SHE Team to ensure that HAZCOM Program, PPE and other Safety/IH programs are effective and are supportive of each other.
- Serves on the Emergency Response Team and understands and utilizes Incident Command principles. Assists in response to onsite and offsite emergencies dealing with manufactured chemicals.
- Maintains a relationship with applicable trade and professional organizations as well as other INEOS safety professionals through internal company networks.
- All activities shall be performed in accordance with established company, local, state, federal and health, safety, and environmental regulations and procedures.
- The individual needs to be flexible and open to the addition or removal of safety responsibilities to best support the plant and the safety team. Safety responsibilities may be modified to best suit Specialist and current Lima Safety Team members.
Skills & Knowledge Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Occupational Health, Fire Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Chemistry, Engineering, or a closely related technical discipline is required.
- Minimum of 5 years' safety related experience or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in a manufacturing facility, preferably a Chemical Processing plant.
- High knowledge level of chemical industry safety policies and procedures, manufacturing processes, chemicals and hazards.
- Experience with managing contractor safety is a plus.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) preferred.
- Leads by example in the role of Safety Champion
- Exhibits a strong bias for action (i.e., self-starter)
- Requires minimum supervision to get work done.
- Working knowledge of OSHA regulations and ability to converse with external agencies such as OSHA, EPA, NIOSH & ODH
- Competent with Microsoft Office software
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Interacts well with all levels of the organization. Strong interpersonal skills which enable influence and effective partnering.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data and problem solve.
- Leads by example and engages and inspires employees daily to want to work safely and look out for their co-worker’s well-being.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.