INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA
Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees are empowered to make a difference?
INEOS Olefins and Polymers USA
Relief Valve Engineer
$114,507 - $163,528 Commensurate with experience level
January 2, 2024
Organizational context and job purpose
The Chocolate Bayou Works site is located in Southeastern Texas about 40 miles south of Houston and consists of two Olefin units that produce approximately 4bn pounds/year of ethylene, 2 Polypropylene units that produce approximately 800m pounds/ year of polypropylene, storage and transfer facilities at Stratton Ridge. The site also provides knowledge sharing support and functional guidance through relationships with the PE / PP facilities at Battleground and the Hobbs gas processing facility in New Mexico, with the headquarters located in League City, TX.
Purpose of the job:
CBW has an immediate opening for an experienced and highly motivated Relief Valve Engineer working within the Maintenance Department of the O&P business. The primary purpose of the Relief Valve Engineer is to influence INEOS and contractor teams with experience in relief device sizing calculation and venting system design. Consult and mentor others in the organization to relief system best practice. Facilitate the effective management of engineering calculations, relief devices records, and flare system data at CBW. Serve as a technical expert on relief device for INEOS O&P. Oversee engineering contractors performing engineering related work on relief systems and components. Coordinate / consult with site maintenance, operations and capital project organizations in the field execution of work on relief systems and components. Facilitate PSM related audits in relation to RV and venting systems. Review and maintain PM records for all RV’s at CBW site.
Responsibilities AND Accountabilities
The position is accountable for understanding and putting into practice the INEOS 20 Principles.
Most important activities:
- Acting as the technical expert for INEOS O&P on Relief Devices and Flare Systems
- Contribute to and follow the INEOS O&P Relief System Design Guide consistent with regulations and applicable industry standards.
- Ensuring site application is in compliance with agency regulations.
- Looking for opportunities for improvement in relief protection and understanding emerging issues associated within the industry related to relief protection.
- Acting as subject matter expert for efforts undertaken by the site relating to relief devices and flare systems for Engineering Resource Teams.
- Directing projects and managing external resources hired for technical reviews and studies.
- Assuring relief device calculations are kept current and are executed in a manner consistent with the INEOS O&P Relief System Design Guide.
- Overseeing the activities of third party contractors performing technical work on relief devices and relief systems to include:
Business level aspects:
- Has, supports, and reflects the business view in performing assignments relating to venting systems and Process Safety and Integrity Management (PSIM)
- Function as a resource to Procurement, IT, and Legal in negotiating service agreements associated with venting systems and components including dynamic/static and sensitivity studies, RV system design, flare system and relief component validation.
- Be a resource on PHA’s
- Participate in relevant integrity audits
Technical oversight includes:
- Clearly communicate expectations (with both contractors and internal customers)
- Perform QC checks of work for timeliness, accuracy, and adherence to the INEOS O&P Relief System Design Guide
- Ensure that sites’ venting systems and components design and calculation are maintained in evergreen status
- Participate in assuring the ‘Flarenet’ flare system models are maintained and updated each time a significant change in process elements occurs. Provide leadership on these changes with the following groups: capital projects, process engineering, and contractors in this role.
- Managing the systems which support the relief device and relief systems and assisting with other site to include:
- Managing the technical aspects of documentation control systems and platforms
- Working in a coordination role to assure records and files are maintained accurate, both in the field as well as within Engineering.
- Striving to streamline processes and consolidate systems and procedures between sites as much as practical.
- Ensure 3rd party (e.g. EPC’s) delivered Relief System documentation is accurate, complete and meets INEOS Relief System Design Guide
- Assist the organization with matters related to relief devices and systems.
- Participate in Pre-Startup Safety Review (PSSR) and Mechanical Completion processes including field verification of installed systems.
- Train process engineers, reliability engineers, front-end loading engineers, and unit engineers on relief devices sizing processes
Skills & Knowledge Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or related engineering field
- 5 years of related relief device engineering experience with 10 years of experience preferred.
- Experience in Petrochemical and/or refinery plants required
- Experience with relief device sizing and analysis engineering software
Most Important Skills & Knowledge
- Very good understanding of relief device engineering
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Effective communication skills - verbal and written
- Open/creative thinker; is an Ideas generator.
- Self-starter, organized and capable of working under pressure to meet deadlines
- Self-directed and establishes own priorities to meet needs of the organization
- Ability to effectively manage change and multiple priorities
- Proven track record in problem solving and decision making
- Ability to lead team and manage by influence
- Experience with PSM regulations and practices including API520 and API521
- Familiarity with stage gated project process required
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.