Process Control Technician
Chocolate Bayou, Alvin, TX - USA
Organizational context and job purpose
With LAO manufacturing facilities in Canada and Belgium, INEOS Oligomers is one of the large merchant suppliers of Linear Alpha Olefins (LAO).
LAO is used in a variety of industries, with main markets being comonomers for polyethylene, feedstock for the production of lubricants, surfactants, lubricant additives, and paper sizing chemicals, and base stock for drilling fluids. PAO is a synthetic lubricant.
As part of its growth strategy, INEOS Oligomers invested $500 million in a new world-scale LAO & PAO production facility to be located on INEOS Olefins & Polymers site in Chocolate Bayou, Alvin, Texas.
INEOS Oligomers is hiring a Process Control technician that will report to the Process Automation Supervisor.
Purpose of the job:
The Process Control Technician will be responsible for supporting the Distributed Controls System (DCS) and Operator Training Simulator (OTS) system for safe and reliable operations of the LAO and PAO facility working with the Process Automation Supervisor, Shift Supervisors, Operators, Operations Engineers, and the OTS Training Specialist.
As a Responsible Care company, we encourage our employees to embrace the principles of Responsible Care® by actively practicing them, promoting awareness of Responsible Care® and encouraging others to commit to these principles. Responsible Care® is the chemistry industry's commitment to sustainability - the betterment of society, the environment, and the economy. Its ethic and principles compel us to innovate for safer and more environmentally friendly products and processes, and to work cooperatively to identify and eliminate harm throughout the entire life cycle of their products.
Embraces and promotes the INEOS 20 Safety Principles.
Responsibilities AND Accountabilities
Major responsibilities for the Process Control Technician include but are not limited to the following:
• Select, install, configure, upgrade, maintain, and perform troubleshooting diagnostics on all DCS & OTS hardware. This includes all electronic devices on the Delta V Basic Process Control System network, Delta V Safety Instrumented Systems network, and all associated Fiber Optic networks and Honeywell’s Operator Training System.
• Responsible for the process automation domain and all associated open architecture equipment such as servers and PCs. Responsibility including installation, maintenance, and upgrade.
• Provide expertise to implement Serial Interfaces between the DCS and other equipment utilizing different communications standards or protocols. Responsibility to include troubleshooting diagnostics on all interfaces including hardware as well as the associated networks
• Responsible for the administration of the various control networks, including the configuration of the networks, point address assignments, performing system full backup and fast load as required, performance monitoring, operating system upgrades, and fault diagnosis and correction.
• Supports Process Automation Supervisor in point configuration as well as development and modification of operating schematics, alarm management, logic and control programs. Expected to support other software applications, such as PI, which work in conjunction with the Delta V system in data collecting, point configuration, or viewing the various processes.
• Maintain all documentation of the DCS & OTS including network architecture, power distribution, maintenance, spare parts usage, and system resources. Includes the implementation and maintenance of such application software as implemented in the future
• Support all phases of projects including equipment selection, installation, configuration, startup, checkout, and supervision of personnel contracted for specialized equipment installation. Responsible for identifying reliability issues and recommending solutions for automation system improvements
• Routinely assist both operation and maintenance personnel in problem isolation and resolution. Provide appropriate training to operation and maintenance personnel on the Delta V distributed control system and how the system interfaces with field instrumentation.
• Identify and drive process control improvements as well as leverage any third-party technology suppliers.
The Process Control Technician for LAO Oligomers Operations will work a normal work schedule in place at the site. Is expected to be On Call.
Associate degree in Instrument or Electronic Technology or 10+ years of comparable experience
Understanding of programming Delta V systems, PLCs, and PI
3 + years Chemical Industry Experience
In-depth knowledge of DCS systems.
In-depth knowledge of Safety Instrumented Systems
High level of attention to detail
Strong skills with Microsoft Office Word
Flexibility and organization skills to deal with non-routine issues as they arise.
Good organizational skills to prioritize multiple issues at one time.
Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
Must be able to acquire a TWIC card
ADA Physical requirements, visual acuity requirements and environmental conditions
The physical activity of this position requires talking, hearing, and repetitive motion of the hand and wrist constantly, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, and feeling often.
The physical requirements of this position are considered light work, exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform activities such as preparing and analyzing data and figures, transcribing, viewing a computer, reading, visual inspection of small parts or pieces, operating machines, or tools, taking measurements and or assembly or parts. The worker is occasionally subject to environmental conditions - activities occur inside and outside, subject to extreme temperatures (hot and cold) with and without protection, noise, vibration, hazards such as proximity to moving parts, moving vehicles electrical current, working at heights, and atmospheric conditions such as fumes, odors, or dust; The worker is rarely required to work in narrow spaces or enclosed areas.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.
Clicking this link will take you to an external site where you can continue with your application