INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA
Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees are empowered to make a difference?
INEOS is a global manufacturer of petrochemicals, specialty chemicals and oil products. It comprises 36 businesses each with a major chemical company heritage. Its production network spans 194 sites in 29 countries throughout the world. The INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA business is a major participant in the North American chemical industry, with an annual manufacturing capacity of 9.6 billion pounds of petrochemicals. Manufacturing sites include Chocolate Bayou Works (Alvin, TX), Battleground Manufacturing Complex (La Porte, TX), and Carson (Carson, CA), with a corporate office in League City, TX.
The 300-acre INEOS Battleground Manufacturing Complex (BMC) was originally built in 1956 and is located on the Houston ship channel east of Houston, Texas. Currently, BMC produces both high-density polyethylene and polypropylene. The polypropylene line has a capacity of approximately 320 million pounds per year, and the seven polyethylene lines have a combined capacity of approximately 3 billion pounds per year. The BMC site has a state-of-the-art technical center which integrates research and development, technical services and quality assurance.
Purpose of the job:
The successful candidate who fills this position will work as a member of the Instrument & Electrical (I&E) Reliability Team, consisting of engineers, specialists, and technicians who report to the I&E Reliability Superintendent. This role will play a key role in developing both short-term and long-term Reliability strategies for the site in addition to providing engineering support to the site Operations, Maintenance, and Capital teams. This position will report directly to the I&E Reliability Team Lead.
The I&E Reliability Engineer is to identify reliability improvement opportunities, lead small electrical/instrumentation projects, perform RCFA and provide technical support in completing repairs to electrical/instrumentation systems in support of the Operations and Maintenance Departments. Additional responsibilities include participating in all aspects of capital projects, from Front End Engineering & Design (FEED) through Detailed Design, Start-Up & Commissioning. Project execution and sustainability support includes the development of documentation to deliver stage reviews and preventive maintenance requirements to deliver a robust life cycle.
Responsibilities AND Accountabilities
The position is accountable for understanding and putting into practice the INEOS 20 Principles.
Most important activities:
- Support and actively participate in hazard and risk assessments resolving process safety management (PSM) issues (scenarios).
- Interacting with other technical groups on site (process engineering, maintenance, and capital project), and vendors/suppliers as needed to resolve problems and improve plant reliability and performance.
- Applying data analysis techniques to develop engineering solutions to repetitive failures and other problems that adversely affect plant operations.
- Overseeing I&E maintenance programs, calibrations, and repairs required for plant instrumentation, and electrical equipment related to process controls and environmental monitoring.
- Assess changes by: supporting MOC’s, validating programming changes prior to implementation, verifying all pertinent documentation changes (e.g. procedures, narratives, PM’s) are accurately defined/documented and supporting training (if required)
- Perform root cause failure analysis (RCFA) following detailed design and troubleshooting guidelines, using investigating techniques for system failures
- Review and provide comments on engineering design packages (issued for approval and construction packages) issued by engineering and capital projects team.
- Ensure the technical integrity of projects, including compliance with the project scope, job specifications, accepted good engineering practices, and meeting customer requirements
- Team member of FAT (Factory Acceptance Test) and SAT (Site Acceptance Test) which may be performed at manufacturer or vendor site
- Maintaining awareness of emerging technology, assessing applicability to improve reliability and performance, or to reduce maintenance cost.
Skills & Knowledge Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- Preferred, minimum of 2 years’ experience in an Instrumentation or I&E Engineering position; will accept 0-2 years’ experience
- Petrochemical/Manufacturing Plant experience is preferred; however, candidates with relevant experience will be considered
- Formal training in Safety Instrumented Systems preferred with understanding of IEC 61511, ANSI/ISA 84.00.01-2004 (IEC 61511), API RP 14C and 556, NFPA 85 requirements. Certification is a plus
Most Important Skills & Knowledge
- Strong I&E engineering skills with knowledge of reliability methodology
- Plant level experience and understanding of P&IDs, PFDs, instrumentation loop drawings, one-line drawings, and schematics
- Basic understanding of Industry Standards and codes (ANSI, NFPA, ISA, IEC, API, NEC, etc.)
- Knowledge of programmable electronic safety systems logic solvers and their associated application programming
- Design and program control and interlock systems
- Size and select instruments and control valves
- Knowledge of programmable logic controllers (PLC) and their associated application programming
- Instrument and control system reliability background required
- Experience with execution of capital projects and project expense projects observing Site procedures and protocols
- Experience working with multiple engineering disciplines, as well as contractors supporting delivery of projects
- Must be a self-starter and capable of working on an individual basis and in a team environment
- Strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize work, utilize available resources and deliver quality results on time
- Knowledge of polyethylene and polypropylene manufacturing and process control preferred
- Anticipate problems and adjusts accordingly
- Strong understanding of cost/benefit economic analysis and budgeting
- Ability to generate new ideas from within self and from others
- Can implement new and useful concepts effectively
- Effective oral and written communication skills, fosters open dialogue, listens attentively, understands appropriate audiences
- Excellent communication with all levels of the organization and across different groups
- Can make timely, effective decisions consistent with business plans and department goals; able to manage change and multiple priorities with input from supervisor
- Mutually defines requirements with internal/external customers
- Proven track record in problem solving and decision making and exceeding objectives and delivering results
- Works and interacts effectively as a team member and acts as mentor to others.
- Ability to lead and positively influence others/promote philosophy, win concessions without damaging relationships
- Strong demonstrated ability to manage, progress and deliver multiple and competing priorities
- Proven commitment and delivery of SHE compliance
- Ability to positively influence others/promote philosophy
- Defines personal success in terms of the whole team
- Makes timely and effective decisions, includes use of good judgment and consideration of proper balance between benefits/risks
- Creates strong morale and spirit, feeling of belonging in team, broadly shares both routine and important tasks
Salary based on experience and qualifications ranges from approximately $93,000-$135,000
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.
Clicking this link will take you to an external site where you can continue with your application