INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA
Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees are empowered to make a difference?
Sr. Mechanical Reliability Engineer
$130,823.00 - $163,528.00
Chocolate Bayou Works
June 6, 2023
Organizational context and job purpose
The Chocolate Bayou Works site is located in Southeastern Texas about 40 miles south of Houston and consists of two Olefin units that produce approximately 3bn pounds/year of ethylene, 2 Polypropylene units that produce approximately 800m pounds/ year of polypropylene, storage and transfer facilities at Stratton Ridge. The site also provides knowledge sharing support and functional guidance through relationships with the PE / PP facilities at Battleground and the Hobbs gas processing facility in New Mexico, with the headquarters located in League City, TX.
How the Role Fits In:
The INEOS Chocolate Bayou Site is looking for a Mechanical Reliability Engineer to become a member of the Reliability Team. The Reliability Department consists of engineers, specialists and some crafts reporting up to the Mechanical Reliability and Integrity Engineering Superintendent. The Mechanical Reliability Engineer will support the C4 and Utility units at Chocolate Bayou Works located in Alvin, Texas.
The Mechanical Reliability Engineer will report to the Mechanical Reliability Team Leader and will play a key role in developing both short-term and long-term Reliability strategies for C4 and Utility equipment. The Mechanical Reliability Engineer will track equipment performance by reviewing maintenance and reliability Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s) and cost reports. This position will be expected to provide guidance and issue job packages related to the installation and repair of heat exchangers, boilers, furnaces, tanks and other equipment. Knowledge of piping design and repair, thorough knowledge of Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and investigative techniques is required and will be a technical resource to Maintenance, Operations and Engineering Departments.
Responsibilities AND Accountabilities
Accountability 1: SHE Stewardship
- The position is accountable for understanding and putting into practice the INEOS 20 Principles. Additionally, this position has a special responsibility to cascade the understanding of these principles throughout their work group.
- Leads by example and ensures work group is in compliance with CBW SHE policies and procedures.
- Leads the work group’s efforts in promoting and demonstrating safe behaviors through personal and team participation in SHE activities including incident investigations, HAZOP's, audits, observations, housekeeping and in reviewing team and others' safety incidents and near misses.
- Ensure SHE delivery, compliance and self-verification processes for departmental maintenance activities.
- Develop job plans that are logically sequenced for safe and efficient for work execution. Key plan elements include:
- required skill crafts and duration
- required tools and equipment
- optimal scheduling logic between operations
- requisition for necessary parts and materials
- task lists for repetitive jobs
- accurate Bills of Material (BOM's) where appropriate
- special instructions and required documentation such as QA/QC needs, piping schematics, safety such as hazard identification and mitigation as well as environmental compliance directives as applying to the specific work activities.
Accountability 2: Engineering Duties
- Develop/Maintain Top Ten Reliability list for assigned areas in order to assess bad actors and long-term reliability of equipment
- Identify long-term reliability work scope and assist in planning, upgrading equipment
- Maintain/Improve the mechanical integrity reliability of assets at the C4 and Utility units
- Provide the engineering support needed for Maintenance, Operation and Project Depts. in the assigned area; recommend and implement changes in fixed equipment systems to improve reliability and safety
- Lead/Participate in Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and develop/assign appropriate corrective actions to prevent failure recurrence
- Provide technical support to Maintenance department as needed, including reliability programs like RBI and Steam Trap Reliability
- Serve as an engineering resource to Inspection, participate in shop quality audits, review recommendations, and perform fitness-for-service evaluations on identified fixed equipment
- Develop/Lead equipment focus groups and assist in the establishment and monitoring of performance management metrics/KPIs
- Share knowledge of the related engineering technologies, standards, lessons-learned and best practices within the company and mentor those engineers with less experience
- Lead the development, communication and implementation of three-year reliability strategies in the C4 and Utility units
- Work with capital project personnel during early phases of projects and help provide the reliability data needed in order to have a successful project
- Lead the area reliability team for C4 and Utilities
- Support the development of Top Ten Reliability lists for C4/utility
- Monitor bad actor progress and completion
- Ensure team alignment with Operations and Maintenance
- Report team progress during Site Reliability Business Reviews
- Utilize all forms of reliability – preventive, predictive, monitoring, optimization
- Maintain Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and use that information to drive improvement efforts
- Present C4/Utility reliability progress and success stories at Reliability Business Review
- Train site personnel on Root Cause Analysis and 5Why’s
Skills & Knowledge Required
Required Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering is required. Mechanical Engineering degree is preferred.
- At least five (5) years’ experience is required. 8 years’ experience is preferred.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering concepts
- Experience using statistical and reliability methods and tools
- Fundamental knowledge of applicable codes
- Knowledge of functional equipment design and repair
- Thorough knowledge of Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and associated techniques
- Fundamental knowledge of SAP
- Experience conducting Management of Change, Process Safety Reviews, Job Safety Analysis, and Incident Investigations.
- Knowledge of corrosion mitigation and mechanical integrity assessment techniques.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.