Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees share in the ownership of the business and are empowered to make a difference?
Organizational context and job purpose
INEOS Nitriles is a global chemicals business with sales volume of 1200 kte and revenue in excess of $3 billion. The Nitriles business has 2 manufacturing operations in the US and 1 in Europe along with offices and headquarters in Rolle, Switzerland and Aurora, Illinois near Chicago. The Nitriles Business primary products include acrylonitrile, hydrogen cyanide, and acetonitrile. Additionally, Nitriles also has a manufacturing operation that produces catalyst for internal use at the Lima Site, globally within Ineos, and for other Acrylonitrile producers. The INEOS Nitriles Plant at Lima is part of an industrial campus which includes a refinery and chemical complex. INEOS share services, utilities, products, and feedstocks with four adjacent manufacturing facilities: Nutrien (ammonia, urea, nitric acid), Fort Amanda Specialties (chelates), Ashland (1,4-butanediol), and Cenovus Refining (propylene, fuels, and refined oil products).
The role is responsible to contribute higher level troubleshooting and identifying new technology advances to the site’s analyzer, instrumentation, and controls. This position is responsible for analyzer reliability by monitoring the repair, calibration, specification, and maintenance of site process analyzers, instrumentation, and controls. The position carries a high degree of importance because site process analyzers, instrumentation and controls are essential to maintaining process integrity, product quality, and environmental compliance.
This position also has the secondary role of providing instrumentation support to the site. This person collaborates with the site’s Controls and Instrumentation Engineers/Specialists to develop and implement instrumentation projects. Designs and implements practical, cost-effective process control designs for asset enhancements. Estimates project costs, plans and manages project from conceptual design through start-up, leads project teams, construction and commissioning, ensures timely, appropriate operator and maintenance training, and updating of appropriate documentation. Troubleshoots site instrumentation issues.
The Total Quality Management System shall be incorporated into all job activities. All job activities should be executed in a safe and efficient manner consistent with the INEOS 20 Principles. This position is responsible for analyzer and instrumentation integrity management through the development, maintenance, and periodic review of critical instrument list, critical fixed equipment list, operating envelopes, etc. as set out in the INEOS 20P.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Meet all Safety, Health, and Environmental (SHE) objectives and comply with all governmental laws and policies for a chemical manufacturing site:
- Ensure compliance with safety, health, and environmental requirements, which includes promoting and maintaining a Culture of Prevention across all areas of the plant as well as adhering to the INEOS 20 principles.
- Pro-actively demonstrate safe behaviors and demand safe behaviors from co-workers.
- Comply with all process safety management requirements.
- Participate and rigorously apply Management of Change procedure.
- Participate in Group Risk Analyses (GRA), Process Hazard Analyses (PHA), HAZOP studies, and other safety studies as required.
Develop knowledge base and environment to facilitate best in class reliability, continuous improvement and integrity of analyzers and instrumentation:
- Identify and implement analyzer improvement projects to support site initiatives.
- Troubleshoot and repair site analyzer failures.
- Maintain complete files on all analyzers and ISO/PSM instrumentation as well as ensuring that spare parts and outside services are readily available as needed.
- Track KPI’s of analyzers for internal evaluations and external audits, such as those conducted by the EPA or for ISO-9001.
- Become familiar with existing maintenance practices and procedures to make recommendations for improvements and changes where applicable.
- Advise and assist onsite electricians and instrument technicians on I&E components and system re-conditionings and repairs.
Support plant modification and betterment projects:
- Provide support during design and execution of capital projects.
- Manage small projects from conceptual design through completion.
- Support Controls and Instrumentation Engineers/Specialists to create and implement practical, cost-effective designs to fulfil operating requirements that are safe, environmentally sound, and maintainable.
- Provide input into process design regarding controls and instrumentation requirements.
- Accurately estimates project costs and benefits.
- Ensures appropriate drawings and specifications are updated on a timely basis to reflect electrical design details and as-built drawings.
- Provide design and installation support as necessary for improvements and minor enhancements.
Skills & Knowledge Required
- B.S. Electrical, Chemical Engineering, advanced Chemistry or equivalent
- 5 years manufacturing experience preferably in the chemical industry
- Passion for investigating problems and getting to the root cause of failures.
- Knowledge and working experience of analytical chemistry techniques (GC, IR, UV) and gas detectors.
- Ability to perform fundamental maintenance and be able to share technical knowledge with maintenance technicians.
- Experience with electrical design and installation, analyzer interface to Distributed Control System (DCS).
- Working knowledge of benefit and cost estimation.
- Previous project management experience.
- Microsoft office skills including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint; O365 Collaboration tools including OneNote, SharePoint, etc.
- Working knowledge of SAP programs, particularly Plant Maintenance Module.
- Proven ability to lead and work in teams.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively build relationships at all levels of the organization and to manage external as well as internal resources.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.