Organizational Context and Job Purpose
INEOS is a global manufacturer of petrochemicals, speciality chemicals and oil products. Comprising 36 individual businesses, we operate 194 facilities in 29 countries throughout the world.
INEOS products make a significant contribution to saving life, improving health and enhancing standards of living for people around the world. Our businesses produce the raw materials that are essential in the manufacture of a wide variety of goods: from paints to plastics, textiles to technology, medicines to mobile phones - chemicals manufactured by INEOS enhance almost every aspect of modern life.
Purpose of the job:
With manufacturing facilities in the US, Canada, Belgium, France, and Germany, INEOS Oligomers is a world class producer of Linear Alpha Olefins (LAO), Poly Alpha Olefins (PAO), PolyIsoButenes (PIB), and Specialty Oligomer (SO) products. In support of the continued growth plans and market drivers, INEOS Oligomers requires a high level of market development and customer technical service skills in its Global Technology group from which to draw upon.
The purpose of the this role is to ensure the growth and performance of the business by identifying and delivering innovative technical solutions to meet market needs, recognizing opportunities for new product applications, and by providing options to manage market shifts in a dynamic global economy resulting in higher margins and growth in market share. This position provides customer technical support which enhances the ability of our customers to understand the unique attributes of our products and how they are best suited for the customer’s applications and needs. In addition, this position participates in new product development from the bench scale to market introduction. This role provides bridging between the Global Technology Team, the commercial management team, and the manufacturing organization.
Oligomers is a highly complex global business spread over four product lines covering 155 products. This position is challenged with providing in-depth market analysis, product development support, and customer technical services covering all Oligomers products in all markets with a focus on the North America region.
Key Internal Factors:
- Excellent, open, and frequent communications with the commercial team including the account managers, market managers, and product stewardship.
- Excellent, open, and frequent communications with the manufacturing organization including site operations, lab, quality control, and logistics.
- Excellent, open, and frequent communications with the support functions such as finance, and IT.
- A track record of innovation and successful program implementation.
- A firm understanding of the organizational functions and an excellent relationship with each.
Key External Factors:
- Excellent, open, and frequent communications with the North American customers and distributors.
- Intimate understanding of the global market dynamics in which our products participate.
- Good understanding of government regulatory and registration requirements.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Accountability 1: Commitment to Team
- Actively participate to achieve high individual and team performance goals.
- Effectively support the business strategy and set objectives to support the strategy within the context of team.
- Clearly communicate to employees and teams.
- Manage time and resources effectively.
Accountability 2: Commitment to Global Technology
- Coordinate priorities and projects to align with the CTS and Market Development Manager (the Manager).
- Communicate and discuss progress with the Manager on a frequent basis.
- Contribute to development of the budget, and work within the boundaries of the DOA and budget constraints.
- Support product development activities such as new product campaigns, customer sampling efforts, and development of technical data sheets.
- Support other efforts, e.g., product registration, product specification database and approvals, sample shipment management, advertising, etc., as needed.
Accountability 3: Commitment to Business
- Demonstrate a high level of expertise and drive significant contribution through innovative solutions to complex technical problems.
- Proactively evaluate opportunities, utilize creative problem-solving skills, and deliver results.
- Assess competitor technologies, capabilities, and impact to the market and drive strategies to outperform the competition.
- Develop strategic objectives, gain organizational buy-in, and lead multi-discipline teams to effectively execute these objectives.
- Influence the industry through participation in industry groups and conferences, and presentation of papers.
- Develop and maintain intellectual property strategy for the Oligomers’ product lines.
Accountability 4: Commitment to Customers
- Provide timely response to customer questions and requests.
- Provide customer samples as requested, gathering intelligence on application and potential volumes.
- Develop deep understanding of markets and customer’s technology, and the impact of our products on customer’s processes and end uses.
- Prepare and present technical information to the customers and provide training on our products and their applications.
- Follow through on customer complaints to a satisfactory and fully supported conclusion.
- Differentiate level of service to the customer according to customer status.
Skills & Knowledge Required
- BS or higher in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry
- 5+ years of experience in chemical industry
- Experience in R&D, manufacturing, and/or a customer facing commercial role
- A high level of product knowledge and the impact of product properties on end use applications.
- Knowledge of IP processes and the use of IP to defend our businesses.
- Ability to provide high quality technical support to the global customers and commercial team.
- Ability to evaluate opportunities, utilize problem solving skills, and a proven track record of providing innovative solutions which add business value.
- A solid understanding of both business and technical objectives and strategies.
- Proven technical leadership and networking skills through technical network participation.
- A thorough understanding of chemistry and chemical process technology in both theory and application.
- Experience and ability to lead/conduct tests on the laboratory bench as well as at the plant scale.
- Knowledge of competitive technologies and their economics.
- Performance Bias
- Actively demonstrates commitment to high performance standards. Makes decisions, sets priorities or chooses goals on the basis of explicit considerations of potential profit, return on investment or cost/benefit analysis.
- Identifies and anticipates future opportunities. Acts decisively in dealing with opportunities or crises on a daily basis, setting priorities or choosing goals to achieve business success.
- Can co-ordinate and lead a number of different team projects at different stages of completion, identifying stretch targets and milestones. Pursues goals beyond what is required or expected of them.
- Strategic Thinking and Business Awareness
- Has deep understanding of INEOS strategies and interrelationships. Business judgment accepted by partners, government, and other external agencies as sound and influential.
- Is aware of the business strategies of peers in the industry and of the potential impact of external events on INEOS operations.
- Partnership and Teamwork
- Understands the unspoken meanings and motivations of others, even in highly subtle or "political" situations, inside or outside the company and/or across different cultures.
- A driving force in the networks in which he or she participates. Develops and uses a wide-based, multidisciplinary network, both inside and outside INEOS, to enhance business results.
- Sees diversity as an opportunity, creating an environment where diverse groups can thrive. Willing to yield own short-term interests for the long-term good of the organization as a whole.
- Wise Decisions
- Considers alternative courses of actions weighing the long-term and short-term commercial consequences of each, in order to arrive at a decision based on the overall impact.
- Thinks clearly and stays focused in unpredictable or stressful situations. Uses conceptual skills to anticipate, identify and prioritize highly complex issues.
- Defines the technical, business and commercial criteria for solutions, and ensures development of long-term, creative, strategic and realistic solutions. Takes calculated entrepreneurial risks and manages the risk.
- Anticipates situations in advance and acts to create opportunities or avoid problems.
- Innovative thinker. Integrates many ideas and observations about complex issues into clear concepts that create useful insights for the business. Encourages and sponsors innovation.
- Clearly sees the big picture. Creates new ways to help others understand complex situations, problems or opportunities.
Must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
ADA Physical requirements, visual acuity requirements and environmental conditions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and perform tasks requiring repetitive use of hands. The employee must occasionally walk, stand and travel by car, airplane or other means. Exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Employee must have the ability to see written documents, computer screens and to adjust focus.
Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make discriminations in sound.
Work Environment: This job is performed mainly in a temperature controlled office environment.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.