INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA
Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees are empowered to make a difference?
INEOS Olefins and Polymers USA
Job title: System Engineer - OT
Salary range: $111,870 - $167,805
Location: Chocolate Bayou Works – Alvin, TX
and Job Purpose
The Olefins & Polymers USA division of INEOS is one of the largest producers of olefins and polyolefins in North America. From its manufacturing locations at Chocolate Bayou and the Battleground Manufacturing Complex, it is a merchant marketer of butadiene, ethylene, polypropylene and high-density polyethylene with annual revenue of over $4b.
The Chocolate Bayou Site is located in Southeastern Texas about 40 miles South of Houston and consists of two Olefins units that produce approximately 4bn pounds/year of ethylene, 2 Polypropylene units that produce approximately 1bn pounds/ year of polypropylene, and the Light Ends storage & transfer facilities at Stratton Ridge.
How the Role Fits In
This Systems Engineer role is part of the Process Control and Optimization group, part of the Central Applied Technology organization. Engineers in this group support advanced applications, process control infrastructure systems, and projects across O&P USA. This role would provide advanced support for control systems and networks as well as perform hands-on work for projects, primarily at our Houston-area facilities and all facilities supported by the organization.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The position is accountable for understanding and putting into practice the INEOS 20 Principles. Additionally, this position has a special responsibility to cascade the understanding of these principles throughout their work group.
Accountability 1: Maintenance and programming of systems
- Help manage and maintain OT systems, build, image and deploy machines virtual and physical related to Honeywell and other 3rd party applications.
- Work with operations to address software / systems related bugs and ensure high level of customer service.
- Assist the site Digital System Specialists during complicated “non-routine” activities.
- Work with all OT partners (I&E, Analyzers Group, etc) and ensure availability of systems and services to our customers.
- Perform audits on all assigned process control networks and apply patches / keep system to date and maintain high availability
- Work in conjunction with the Networking group to ensure the appropriate patching and cybersecurity levels are maintained on all Systems.
- Expected to lead the backup and disaster recovery plans for the site.
- Work with Honeywell TAC and other Applications customer support to resolve system and application issues as needed
Accountability 2: Application Support & Application Maintenance
- Serve as a system administrator for all DCS applications and perform all necessary activities of a system administrator to ensure high availability of systems and applications.
- Manage all Applications licensing and asset management inventory for systems on-site. ( Assets to include all OT assets)
- Expected to support all other software applications, such as PI, PHD, IP21, Aspen DMC,D4K , Integrity, PSS , network performance monitoring software and system and data backup software , which work in conjunction with the Honeywell systems in data collection, point configuration, or assuring reliability of various processes.
- Provide application level support for all new software’s that pertain to OT environment supporting various domains such as Systems, Networks & Cybersecurity.
Accountability 3: Capital Projects Support
- Support all phases of assigned capital projects including equipment selection, installation, configuration, start-up, checkout, and supervision of personnel contracted for specialized equipment installation. Responsible for identifying reliability issues and recommending solutions for system improvements.
- Proactively work with Lead Process control engineers and other discipline engineers to ensure the systems are accounted in their individual project scope and execute as per project schedule.
- Lead all systems related projects (DCS Systems Migration , Application related Migrations / Upgrades)
Accountability 4: Training & Mentoring
- Train and mentor the site Digital System Specialists in the selection, installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of their TPS and EPKS hardware and networks.
- Provide training with site staff and assist the implementation of alarm rationalization to reduce the number of unnecessary high/emergency alarms. Act as a role model that drives the alarm rationalization/management effort.
Education AND Experience
- Bachelor’s degree + 5 years / Associates degrees in IT / Process Control + 10 years of experience
- 3+ years of experience in operational support of enterprise server ecosystem
- Experience with Microsoft Windows servers 2012, 2016 ,2019 operating systems , Microsoft certifications preferred
Key skills and competencies are:
- Client Service Oriented, Skill in partnering with internal customers at all levels to define problems, identify solutions, and facilitate change
- Impact and influence, able to persuade others to a particular course of action
- Teamwork, shares accountability for team results and utilizes interpersonal skills to improve team performance
- Analytical and conceptual thinking, able to understand both the details and the underlying systemic issues in order to plan and implement creative and effective solutions to business challenges
- Innovative and information seeking, monitors internal and industry trends to identify new opportunities. Organizes work effectively and uses available resources
- Anticipate problems and adjusts accordingly
- Demonstrated ability to manage progress and deliver multiple and competing priorities.
- Professional experience in the administration of a network of servers, desktop systems and communication devices.
- Ability to manage multiple projects , activities and tasks simultaneously
- Experience with data protection, business continuity and disaster recovery options, configuration and execution
- Experience with support of IT/OT systems, including network implementation & segmentation, PLC's and field devices, and IT systems preferred
- Understands both Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) / Distributed control Systems ( DCS) , Windows based PC's and server VM's and industrial network architectures and how to effectively support these technologies
- Understanding of programming PLCs, Honeywell TDC3000 LCN and UCN, Data Highway/DCS system, Firewall for Control System, PlantState Suite Server, Dynamo and PAS Alarm Management Software or similar
- ISA Certification preferred.
- Possess knowledge on Cisco Networking & Virtualization platforms such as VMWare, VXRail, vSAN and NSX. Willingness to learn and develop new skills
Must be able to perform office tasks to include but is not limited to computer work that involves but is not limited to generation of reports, scheduling, data entry, calculations, research and electronic mail. Computer tasks may be performed up to 4-6 hours per day. These tasks may include but would not be limited to frequent:
prolonged mouse and keyboard usage
prolonged visual focusing
reaching in various planes
other physical tasks as needed
INEOS offers a competitive wage/benefits package and a safe, healthy, and professional work environment.
This position will work a flexible 9/80 work schedule which provides the flexibility of alternating Fridays off.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.