INEOS NITRILES USA LLC
Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees share in the ownership of the business and are empowered to make a difference?
Organizational context and job purpose
INEOS Nitriles is a global chemicals business with sales volume of 1200 kte and revenue in excess of $3 billion. The Nitriles business has 2 manufacturing operations in the US and 1 in Europe along with offices and headquarters in Rolle, Switzerland and Aurora, Illinois near Chicago. The Nitriles Business primary products include acrylonitrile, hydrogen cyanide, and acetonitrile. Additionally, Nitriles also has a manufacturing operation that produces catalyst for internal use at the Lima Site, globally within Ineos, and for other Acrylonitrile producers. The INEOS Nitriles Plant at Lima is part of an industrial campus which includes a refinery and chemical complex. INEOS share services, utilities, products, and feedstocks with four adjacent manufacturing facilities: Nutrien (ammonia, urea, nitric acid), Fort Amanda Specialties (chelates), Ashland (1,4-butanediol), and Cenovus Refining (propylene, fuels, and refined oil products).
The Safety Manager, which is a member of the Site Leadership Team, is responsible for the Safety, Health, PSM, and Emergency Response functions for the Lima Nitriles facility. This includes championing our Culture of Prevention, Process Safety Management, occupational health, industrial hygiene, emergency response, site security, and the behavior-based safety program in a way that creates a Culture of Prevention and results in no incidents, no harm to people, and no harm to the environment.
A major challenge for this position is to drive culture changes at Lima as we work towards an injury and incident free workplace. The successful candidate will learn the current safety program, challenge status quo thinking, identify improvements in the overall safety program and help drive improvements in performance while providing services to all stakeholders on site.
The ideal candidate will have strong leadership skills, a passion for safety and solid communication and interpersonal skills.
This position is responsible to develop and implement the SHE Policy and safety management system to ensure effective and practical compliance with applicable regulatory standards and company standards.
This position is the primary contact with local, state, and federal regulatory bodies and serves as the plant spokesperson, interacting with media, citizens groups, government officials and emergency response agencies on an as-needed basis. Position also serves as the primary liaison with other INEOS businesses and companies located within the Lima Complex.
The successful candidate will have proven leadership skills, a track record of working with SHE team members, employees, contractors, and managers to advance an organization’s safety culture.
The Total Quality Management System shall be incorporated into all job activities. All job activities should be executed in a safe and efficient manner consistent with the INEOS 20 Principles.
In compliance with INEOS COVID protocols, candidate must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past last dose of COVID vaccine) prior to start date.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Champions the INEOS 20 Safety Principles and the INEOS Nitriles Culture of Prevention.
- Develops, administers, and coordinates all safety programs, controls, and procedures to deliver zero injuries, maintain regulatory compliance, and advance the safety culture of the site.
- Successfully promotes and encourages active participation of all personnel in safety programs. Leads and develops policies for a safe working environment. Directs the implementation of required OSHA and other programs.
- Develop the site’s SHE improvement plan. Implement the plan in a collaborative manner across all functions and stakeholders to gain their buy-in and successfully deliver zero injuries.
- Coordinates the Process Safety Management program to ensure its efficiency and efficacy so that all affected manufacturing areas have clear guidance and procedures for meeting regulatory requirements.
- Supervises the development and coordination of emergency response procedures. Coordinates with local law enforcement officials on emergency planning.
- Supervises the development and implementation of the Industrial Hygiene and Occupational Health programs. Ensures programs meet applicable OSHA regulations.
- Provides leadership and oversight to Site Security efforts to ensure the security of the Lima complex and ongoing compliance to DHS requirements.
- Provides leadership and oversight to the behavior based safety program in an engaging way that results in increased program participation and cultural and performance improvements.
- Establish key performance indicators and targets. Utilize PDCA to monitor performance data and trends, audit to ensure compliance and develop improvement actions.
- Maintains and administers a competent force of technical professionals. Trains, counsels, and appraises performance of personnel. Recommends staffing and all personnel actions, designs and changes organizational structure with approval of superiors. Assigns functional duties and reviews periodically with supervisor.
- Fosters and promotes good working relationships with all local, state and government regulatory agencies. Serves as primary contact with Agency management personnel for safety concerns.
- Acts as consultant to Operations Management and all employees on safety issues and concerns. Maintains a proactive customer service outlook.
- Networks with other INEOS Nitriles sites to share best practices for the betterment of all.
- Develops and effectively implements systems, processes, procedures, and policies.
- Maintains a relationship with applicable trade and professional organizations as well as other INEOS professionals through internal company networks.
- All activities shall be performed in accordance with established company, local, state, federal and health, safety, and environmental regulations and procedures.
- The individual needs to be flexible and open to the addition or removal of responsibilities to best support the plant and the team. Responsibilities may be modified to best suit incumbent and current Lima team members
Skills & Knowledge Required
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in engineering
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in a PSM/RMP covered manufacturing facility
- Minimum of 10 years' safety related experience or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years’ supervisory experience preferred
- High knowledge level of all chemical industry policies and procedures, manufacturing processes, products, and raw materials.
- Strong knowledge of OSHA and other regulations
- Safety Certification is preferred
- Leads by example in the role of Safety Champion
- Exhibits a strong bias for action (i.e., self-starter)
- Requires minimum supervision to get work done
- Good interpersonal skills required
- Ability to converse with external agencies such as OSHA, NIOSH & ODH
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Demonstrated competency in communicating with all levels of the organization.
- Interacts well with all levels of the organization
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.