IN OUR EXPERIENCED TEAM.
INEOS Styrolution is the leading global styrenics supplier, with a focus on styrene monomer, polystyrene, ABS Standard and styrenic specialties. With world-class production facilities and more than 90 years of experience, INEOS Styrolution helps its customers succeed by offering solutions, designed to give them a competitive edge in their markets. At the same time, these innovative and sustainable best-in-class solutions help make the circular economy for styrenics a reality. The company provides styrenic applications for many everyday products across a broad range of industries, including automotive, electronics, household, construction, healthcare, packaging and toys/sports/leisure. In 2021, sales were at 6 billion euros. INEOS Styrolution employs approximately 3,600 people and operates 20 production sites in ten countries.
For our site in Chempark Dormagen we are looking for a
Research Specialist (f/m/d)
(PhD in Chemistry)
The Research Specialist function is one of INEOS Styrolution’s global research and development experts for ASA polymers (Luran S) and ABS polymers (Terluran, Novodur) produced via a radical polymerization process and the applications where this product is involved. The function oversees laboratory activities, helps solving quality issues, drive product development for the future and ensures on-going competitiveness of current and future copolymer products both in commodities and specialties.
In general, the job holder will be responsible for the following:
- Monitor costs of current projects and optimize processes
- Manage the approval process for proposed research projects
- Ensure the availability and capacity of lab equipment and manpower to run current/planned activities
- Manage global coordination with sites, RDCs and commercial teams
- Support the overall INEOS Styrolution asset management, general development of plastics industry and new trends
- Cooperate closed with internal/external clientes and manage softly their requirements, needs and demands
- Ensure the availability of raw materials
Furthermore, the job holder will take action as follows:
- Respects and obeys the INEOS 20 principles of behavioural and process safety and Life Saving Rules
- Is assigned with R&D tasks on copolymer topics
- Those tasks comprise: improvement of existing product recipes, development of new product recipes based on business requirements and active support in other R&D and RDC projects.
- Directs projects based on copolymers through a company-wide stage-gate process to deliver defined project results
- Turns R&D topics – approved by Steering Committees – into efficient lab programs and supervises the timely and high-quality generation of results under highest scientific standards.
- Has responsibility over the copolymer R&D laboratory, this includes aspects as SHE management, people management, inventory management, operational management, etc.
- Is active in a structured transfer of R&D know-how and is personally involved until the new copolymer product/process is running or is implemented in our plants
- Is writing R&D reports on frequent basis and final reports at project end.
- Is actively interacting with all relevant stakeholders guided by his/her supervisor. Maintains close contact to all R&D sites and copolymer manufacturing sites around the globe in order to cumulate and grow the global know how on copolymer.
- Runs copolymer IP management: Competition scan, IP generation and follow-up of running copolymer IP dossiers.
- Identifies opportunities in the public (funded) project landscape in Germany and Europe and participates actively
- Is active on training about copolymers and related analytical state-of-the-art and relevant skills, e.g. via scientific literature, conferences, training etc.
- Actively builds network with universities and service labs
- Embeds sustainability into projects
- Is ready to travel to meet internal and external parties within the responsibilities of the job
Overall, the job holder requires a doctor’s degree in chemistry or a related area, profound knowledge in polymer chemistry and material science
Furthermore, the following is required:
- Planning experimental laboratory work, supervision of laboratory personal and solving scientific problems; experienced in project management, skill in analysis of patents and scientific literature as well as IT competence. Business acumen is a plus.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in R&D (university, industry) is mandatory
- Knowledge of INEOS Styrolution products, processes and technologies across most of INEOS Styrolution industries, especially the copolymer products and its blends.
- Understanding of emulsion and mass polymerization technology and rubber grafting process.
- Understanding the interaction between polymer additives and intermediates.
- Ability to evaluate technical, analytical and polymerphysical results and drawing conclusion for the future work
- Analysis of patents and scientific literature in the field of polymer and material science.
- Actively supports the publication and adoption of research findings into practice.
- Is able to apply the appropriate regulations and legislation pragmatically and proportionately to their work
- Good IT skills (mainly MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- German and English mandatory, any other language is helpful
- Understanding of process/engineering aspects (of pilot plants)
These competencies would be helpful for a successful start into this role:
- Identification with work that matters most – priority setting
- Understanding the importance of team work and actively co-operatin in networks
- Capability to work out project plans and delegate work
- Communicating own ideas (internally and externally)
- Scientific curiosity and desire for continuous learning
- Pro-active and self-motivated working/learning style
- Ability to ask for and act on feedback
- Fluent in virtual work environment
- Well-organized with good attention to details and accuracy
- Appreciation of diverse cultures and regional practices
- Pragmatic, solution-oriented thinking
- Line Management Responsibility
- Strong SHE (safety, health environment) awareness, aligning all activities along SHE standards.
- Ability to empower others to meet and exceed their objectives and bring passion to their work
- Initiate strategies to engage and retain key talent
- Acts as challenger in a constructive way for the sake of continuous improvement
- Project and resource planning
If you have any question, please contact Cornelia Koecke phone +49 69 5095501200.
INEOS Styrolution Group GmbH, Mainzer Landstraße 50, 60325 Frankfurt, Germany
Clicking this link will take you to an external site where you can continue with your application