Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees share in the ownership of the business and are empowered to make a difference?
Organizational context and job purpose
INEOS Nitriles is a global chemicals business with sales volume of 1200 kte and revenue in excess of $3 billion. The Nitriles business has 2 manufacturing operations in the US and 1 in Europe along with offices and headquarters in Rolle, Switzerland and Aurora, Illinois near Chicago. The Nitriles Business primary products include acrylonitrile, hydrogen cyanide, and acetonitrile. Additionally, Nitriles also has a manufacturing operation that produces catalyst for internal use at the Lima Site, globally within Ineos, and for other Acrylonitrile producers. The INEOS Nitriles Plant at Lima is part of an industrial campus which includes a refinery and chemical complex. INEOS shares services, utilities, products, and feedstocks with four adjacent manufacturing facilities: Nutrien (ammonia, urea, nitric acid), Fort Amanda Specialties (chelates), Ashland (1,4-butanediol), and Cenovus Refining (propylene, fuels, and refined oil products).
The Nitriles Production Engineer works closely with Process Assistants, Supervisors and other front-line leadership. He/She functionally oversees Production Supervisors to direct day-to-day operation of the Nitriles production units. The incumbent works to ensure safe, reliable, and environmentally compliant operations that meet the objectives of the business. He/she initiates and approves work orders, evaluates unit problems, and sets priorities for operations. The incumbent shares responsibility of the Nitriles operations procedures with Process Assistants and represents Operations in PHAs and project engineering reviews. He/she is also responsible for jointly identifying training needs and conducting training where appropriate for unit personnel.
The incumbent is very knowledgeable of Nitriles unit operations and equipment in order to provide direction to both maintenance daily activity and input to engineering projects. He/she will also be active in process issues such as capacity creep, final product quality, and controls improvements.
The Nitriles Production Engineer issues orders, follows up on procedures and reports status to carry out the daily operating plan and must be able to initiate changes in operating plans when conditions warrant. The Nitriles Production Engineer is held accountable for safe, efficient operation, environmental protection, and energy conservation of the areas of responsibility. The Nitriles Production Engineer must be able to think ahead and make quick, careful decisions in the event of an emergency. The Nitriles Production Engineer must be available to receive calls during off hours and make operational decisions for their areas or responsibility.
This position is responsible for asset integrity management as set out in the INEOS 20P.
The Total Quality Management System shall be incorporated into all job activities. All job activities should be executed in a safe and efficient manner consistent with the INEOS 20 Principles.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Visibly supports and promotes the INEOS 20 Principles and Culture of Prevention.
- Safety Champion for the site. Practice and teach good safety work habits to employees, conducts regular safety discussions with INEOS site employees and contractors. Conducts incident investigation and follow up as needed.
- Responsible for safe, environmentally sound plant operation, and assuring employees perform their jobs in a safe manner according to the INEOS Twenty Principles and PSM.
- Functionally directs Production Supervisors as principal liaison to Manufacturing Manager.
- Ensures timely Operations documentation is issued (production recaps, initial incident investigation forms, incident reports) including proper details and provides feedback on gaps of expectation.
- Ensures incident investigation findings and action items are implemented and documented.
- Establishes, monitors and updates adequate Key Performance Indicators (Statistical Process Control, KPI’s) through proper Visual Management tools.
- Develops and maintains operational reliability “Bad Actor” list (Pareto Chart) and proactive action plan to address.
- Works closely with Process Engineers to execute process improvement plans.
- Works with Technical Manager and Process Engineers on all aspects of cost control including variable, fixed and capital.
- Works with Process Assistants to write and review procedures associated with areas of responsibility as required. Periodically reviews and revises existing procedures and P&ID’s as needed. Leads the Management-of-Change (MOC) process for areas of responsibility.
- Ensures all areas of responsibility and facilities comply/operate within applicable requirements and associated agencies and laws.
- Safety champion for the site. Practice and teach good safety work habits to employees, conducts regular safety discussions with INEOS site employees and Contractors. Conducts incident investigation and follow up as needed.
- Serves as a member of the Emergency Response Team.
- Serves as the on-scene incident commander during plant emergencies. Responsible for controlling the emergency, maintaining personnel safety, minimizing property and equipment losses, headcount of personnel, communication to the Incident Commander.
- Conducts safety audits and observations as a part of daily safety activities. Participates and completes PHA activities.
- Provides daily direction to Production Supervisors and operator teams for efficient operation of the unit. Takes lead role in troubleshooting daily operating and quality problems. Provides daily instructions in coordination with Process Assistants through daily "Write Up."
- Issues job orders, establishes priorities for those orders along with determining job order completion dates. Assists in developing daily plans and priority for equipment availability for maintenance work.
- Manages unit volumes, quality issues with Production Engineer.
- Provides technical and operational support for shift teams during non-routine operations.
- Assists in evaluating operator's and supervisor’s performance. Aids in addressing grievances and administrating labor contract.
- Suggests improvements in operating procedures, modifications to equipment or changes in operating conditions to ensure safe operation, increase production or improve operation efficiency. Contributes ideas for development of capital projects to improve plant performance.
- Performs miscellaneous duties or assignments as requested. Advises Manufacturing Manager on current operating conditions, attends staff meetings, furnishes accounting, distribution, or others with operating information as requested. Works with Process Assistants to update operating manuals, and operating procedures to assure compliance with PSM and to maintain ISO-9000 certification. Provides updates to training.
- Provides backup coverage for Process Assistants as needed.
- Supervise and mentor co-op students.
Skills & Knowledge Required
In compliance with INEOS COVID protocols, you must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past your last dose of COVID vaccine) prior to your start date.
- BS in Engineering (Chemical preferred) or higher.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in chemical or refinery industry.
- PSM plant experience.
- Hazardous chemicals operations experience highly desirable.
- Six Sigma experience desirable.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with SAP, Microsoft Office, and other software as deemed necessary.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with all levels of personnel. This position deals with a number of internal and external contacts.
- Strong organizational skills necessary.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Good leadership and influencing skills.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities effectively.
Target Salary Range: $105,400 - $111,000
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.