INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA
Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees are empowered to make a difference?
Grade 34- 35 commensurate with experience
Organizational context and job purpose
INEOS Olefins and Polymers (O&P) USA is a part of the INEOS group of companies. INEOS Group Limited is one of the world’s largest chemicals company with ~$60 billion of sales per annum, 16,000 employees and 68+ sites worldwide.
The O&P USA business includes the product lines Ethylene, Propylene, Butadiene, Polypropylene and Polyethylene. Manufacturing sites include Chocolate Bayou Works (Alvin, TX), Battleground Manufacturing Complex (LA Porte, TX), and Carson, (Carson, CA), with a division office in League City, TX.
How the Role Fits in:
The successful candidate will help influence and move the organization to the next level of performance in Process Safety by providing expertise to the Battleground Manufacturing Complex and other INEOS O& P USA sites to support PSIM programs.
The Main Purpose of the Role:
The Process Safety Engineer will assist in Process Safety and Integrity Management (PSIM) performance by leading and supporting: Process Hazard Analyses (PHA’s), Layers of Protection Analysis(LOPA’s), Management of Change (MOC) process and Capital Projects Risk Assessments amongst others. The Process Safety Engineer will support driving resolution to PSIM issues by interfacing with plant personnel, support Process Safety audits, and implementation of INEOS 20 Principles at INEOS O&P facilities.
Responsibilities AND Accountabilities
Process Hazard Analysis
- Facilitate Process Hazard Analyses (PHAs) and Layer of Protection Analyses (LOPAs) for processes to meet both internal and external regulatory schedule requirements while providing the necessary documentation, completing management reviews and issuing reports to meet established deadlines.
- Support project managers and site teams to deliver Risk Assessments (PHA-LOPA, DHA, HAZID, QRA, HRA, FTA and ALARP Evaluations amongst others) and PSIM deliverables required as part of the project execution stages.
- Work with site PSIM Coordinators and the INEOS O&P PSIM Advisor to schedule, define resources and conduct PHAs/LOPAs and other activities within O&P sites.
- Work with PSIM Coordinators, PSIM Advisor and Safety, Instrumented System (SIS) Engineering Authority to ensure effectiveness and consistency is delivered in PHAs and LOPAs.
- Assist sites addressing needs for SIS documentation supporting Safety Integrity Level (SIL) scenario analysis and assignment.
Action Item Management
- Support PHA-LOPA action item holders in the scenario evaluation and challenge reviews to assure alignment with INEOS O&P policies and practices.
- Support PSIM Coordinator driving actions items to timely completion, and assist with the development of solid technical solutions.
Management of Change and Pre-Start up Safety Reviews
- Support Management of Change program by participating in the gatekeeping, approval process and identification/resolution of opportunities for improvement.
- Support and provide oversight for Pre Start Up Safety Reviews (PSSR).
- Provide new hiring and refresher MOC training to sustain MOC culture
PSIM Programs Support and Development
- Support PSIM Coordinator in the review, development and/or enhancement of corporate and site policies
- Serve as a backup for Site PSIM Coordinator in the support of Site PSIM initiatives.
- Support Facility Siting evaluations for permanent and temporary buildings and site study enhancements.
- Use of industry standards and RAGAGEP when addressing PSM initiatives (API 521, IEC61511, CCPS Bluebook, NPFA 652/654, B31.3, API 752/753/756, etc.)
- Use of company tools to support the site PSM programs:
- PHAST dispersion modelling software
- Stature/PHA Pro facilitation software
- Sharepoint FACILEX MOC management
- PI Vision process data historian
- Incident Management System (IMS) Gensuite
Employee Participation Initiatives
- Participate in the employee Process Safety Committee and VPP initiatives.
- Assist the INEOS O&P PSIM team in the planning and execution of PSM-EPA RMP compliance audits.
- Support INEOS O&P PSIM team in the planning and execution of Site Operational Audits.
- Lead and support SHE and PSIM incident investigations.
- Provide support implementing and sustaining INEOS 20 Principles (Process Safety and Personal Safety).
- Provide support for other SHE areas, such as personnel safety and emergency preparedness, as needed.
- Support development and implementation of PSM awareness and education programs for employees and contractors.
- Review the daily published Gensuite incident report for PSM events and ensure the proper information is present and the workflows flows are followed
- Participate in and present training topics at quarterly facilitator training
- Support site RMP resubmission efforts
Skills & Knowledge Required
Level of Education & Experience in general
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or technical field is required.
- 5 or more years of experience working in chemical industry or equivalent experience in Process Safety Management.
- Experience in Process Safety Management programs/protocols and familiarity with the 14 elements of PSM.
- Experience in the petrochemical industry is preferred.
Skills and Competencies
Technical and Behavioural Skills
- Demonstrated successful verbal, written, and interpersonal skills and the ability to build positive relationships with plant operating personnel.
- Strong leadership skills, including ability to lead by influence, motivate individuals and teams and drive change from a position of no authority.
- Proven performance in Project Management.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Defines personal success in terms of the whole team.
- Captures and assimilates learning from others.
- Recognizes complexity of problems and asks for help as required.
- Applies standards, procedures, and policies to accomplish goals.
- Manages and prioritize multiple and changing priorities.
External candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.