Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees share in the ownership of the business and are empowered to make a difference?
Organizational Context and Job Purpose
INEOS Nitriles is a global chemicals business with sales volume of 1200 kte and revenue in excess of $2.4 billion. The Nitriles business has 2 manufacturing operations in the US and 1 in Europe along with offices and headquarters in Rolle, Switzerland and Aurora, Illinois near Chicago. The Nitriles Business primary products include acrylonitrile, hydrogen cyanide, and acetonitrile. Additionally, Nitriles also has a Plant that produces catalyst for internal use at the Lima Site, globally within INEOS, and for other Acrylonitrile producers. The INEOS Nitriles Plant at Lima is part of an industrial campus which includes a refinery and chemical complex. INEOS shares services, utilities, products, and feedstocks with four adjacent manufacturing facilities: Nutrien (ammonia, urea, nitric acid), Fort Amanda Specialties (chelates), Ashland (1,4-butanediol), and Cenovus Refining (propylene, fuels, and refined oil products).
The Process Controls Engineer works as part of the site’s Technical Engineering team and uses his/her technical expertise to manage the operation of the site’s Distributive Control System (DCS) to proactively promote process safety initiatives and site reliability. The incumbent interacts with Operations, Engineering, Maintenance, Safety, Environmental personnel, and third-party contractors. The scope of work includes all aspects of maintaining and further development of the site’s controls systems, developing and assisting on new automation projects, and assisting with troubleshooting/ repair and maintaining equipment. The employee would also provide back-up support to the site’s Controls Systems Engineer.
All job activities should be executed in a safe and efficient manner consistent with the INEOS 20 Principles. The position is also accountable for asset engineer responsibilities for the integrity of the DCS System as set out in the INEOS 20P.
Responsibilities AND Accountabilities
- Provides technical support for the site’s Process Safety Management (PSM) program.
- Promotes the INEOS 20 Principles, INEOS Life Saving Rules and the implementation of the INEOS Group Guidance Notes (IGGN’s). Takes ownership of Safety Instrument Systems and Safety Integrity Level IGGN for the site.
- Responsible for design, implementation, and maintenance of the site’s control systems and safety instrumented systems and maintaining reliable operation of the systems.
- Support Maintenance and other Controls/ Instrumentation teams to ensure testing, troubleshooting, system interfaces are completed to efficiently maintain the DCS and ESD systems without interruptions to production.
- Responsible for providing Operations with DCS and PLC troubleshooting support and managing upgrades.
- Lead alarm management efforts to rationalize and reduce DCS alarms.
- Lead capital project control systems design and implementation requirements.
- Provide training for Operations when new configuration or changes are required.
- Support and document all DCS configuration and/or interlock modifications required per the Management of Change (MOC) procedures.
- Complete monthly reporting of process control KPIs such as alarm statistics, operator actions and controller performance.
- Maintain sufficient contacts with qualified outside contractors/manufacturers technical support to meet business needs.
- Remains on call for emergency trouble shooting and operations support.
- Networks with other site process control leaders to share and leverage knowledge and solutions.
- Ensures all work is done in a safe manner consistent with company, local, state, federal and health, safety and environmental regulations and procedures.
Skills & Knowledge Required
In compliance with INEOS COVID protocols, candidate must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past last dose of COVID vaccine) prior to start date.
- BS Degree in Engineering and 5+ years of operations/process control experience in the chemical industry, or 10+ years of experience in Process Control Engineering.
- Industrial control system DCS and PLC configuration experience preferred, Emerson Delta V
- Process Hazard and Layer of Protection Analysis experience
- Root Cause Failure Analysis
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong computational and data analysis skills
- Strong IT skills with process modelling and process simulation software
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Good negotiator and influencer
- Good team leader and motivator
- Willingly takes the lead when challenges occur
- Builds networks to enhance effectiveness and share knowledge
- Looks for ways to do things better, faster, and more efficiently
Expected Salary range
$85,000 - $110,000 based on experience
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.