INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA
Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees share in the ownership of the business and are empowered to make a difference?
INEOS Olefins and Polymers USA includes the Battleground Manufacturing Complex (BMC) Polyethylene and Polypropylene units in La Porte, TX, the Chocolate Bayou Plant (CBW) south of Alvin, TX, which manufactures Olefins and Polypropylene, the Carson, Ca. Polypropylene manufacturing plant and the Hobbs, NM gas plant.
The PLC Senior Engineer (Programmable Logic Controller) will support technology development, implementation, and maintenance within the scope of the following BMC Operational Technology (OT):
- PLC infrastructure
- Associated computers
- Equipment monitoring devices
- any general purpose PLC or network devices such as: Relays, RTU’s, and HMI/PCs
- This will specifically not include Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS)
This position will work closely with the BMC DCS Network Administrator, the PLC Cybersecurity Specialist, and the I&E Engineering Authority as well as PLC maintenance teams. This position is responsible for training / mentoring PLC maintenance teams in the proper maintenance and programming of site PLC’s (with exception of SIS-related PLCs). This position will be integral in developing the PLC-related portions of capital projects (Design Basis) and will be a key resource (Subject Matter Expert) for the capital projects team during detailed design and implementation of those projects.
This position interfaces with Operations, Maintenance, Capital Projects, Process Safety, Reliability, and Mechanical Integrity Groups to ensure appropriate alignment in the delivery and sustainability of PLC systems at BMC Site. This position reports to the site DCS Engineering Authority for guidance and networks with the site I&E department for implementation.
Responsibilities & Accountabilities
The PLC Senior Engineer supports assessment, design, documentation, configuration, testing, and commissioning of new installations. The position also is responsible for maintaining, troubleshooting, and optimizing new and existing systems (hardware & software) in accordance with industry and INEOS best practices. Additionally, this position is responsible for reviewing and amending INEOS best practices, policies, and training as required. The responsibilities include participating in all stages of the capital process (Front End design, detailed design / development, and Start-Up & Commissioning). These capital process deliverables also include the development of documentation to deliver stage reviews and preventive maintenance requirements to deliver a robust life cycle and optimized OT equipment performance.
Further responsibilities & Accountabilities include:
- Effective performance in this role is critical to the efficient operation of the manufacturing sites. To ensure PLCs and OT equipment operate as designed, the individual must provide support for the technical components of BMC’s OT computing environment. This includes networks, servers, protocols, hardware, operating systems, firewalls, etc…
- Support and actively participate in the troubleshooting, maintaining, and optimization of BMC’s PLCs and resolution of issues associated with PLC implementation
- Create and execute project plans to improve site PLC’s or related networks
- Create and execute PLC-related portions of projects (from other FEL leaders), acting as SME (Subject Matter Expert) on all PLC (non-SIS) portions.
- Support documentation of PLC and associated networked equipment (maintain software and hardware inventory).
- Work closely with the site PLC Cybersecurity Specialist to assist with cybersecurity compliance
- Support, train, and mentor unit technicians to troubleshoot, reprogram, and maintain all PLC systems (non-SIS)
- Stay abreast of current technology and strive to improve BMC’s General PLC systems
- Provide expertise and review on engineering design packages which include PLC changes (hardware or software).
- Support I&E Superintendent, I&E Team Leaders and I&E Maintenance Trainer to identify and develop training to enhance and maintain I&E personnel PLC competencies.
Skills & Competencies and Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Automation, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Engineering or related fields required. Associate degree is not sufficient
- A minimum of 7 years of experience working with Programmable Logic Controller or other Automation equipment including engineering of said systems. Experience in other areas will be considered (or can be used towards the 7 year minimum).
- Hands-on experience supporting PLCs such as Rockwell, Emerson, Triconex, HIMA, GE, or Siemens. Work will be limited to non-SIS PLCs, but prior experience in SIS-related PLC’s is valuable.
- Familiarity with networked systems and remote access of PLCs.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong engineering background, with focus on automation and logic controllers
- Strong instrument and control system reliability background
- Plant level experience and understanding of P&IDs, instrument loop drawings, logic controller terminology, and Industry Standards (ANSI, NFPA, ISA, IEC, API, etc.) that influence PLC functionality and configurations.
- Experience with execution of capital and expense projects observing Site procedures and protocols.
- Experience working with multiple engineering disciplines, as well as contractors supporting delivery of PLC programming/hardware and PSM Initiatives.
- Must be a self-starter and capable of working on an individual basis and in a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize work and deliver quality results on time.
- Ability to train, coach, and mentor maintenance technicians and junior level technical staff preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong leadership skills, including ability to lead and motivate individuals or teams
- Proven ability to influence and manage change.
- Demonstrated ability to build positive relationships with plant personnel supporting PLC optimization: Operations, Maintenance, Technology, and Capital Projects teams.
- Demonstrated problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Self-Motivated individual who takes initiative to get results and seeks opportunities for additional responsibility.
Candidates are required to be fully COVID vaccinated.
INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA is an equal opportunity employer.
If you are selected for a position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-employment drug screen (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-employment verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.
INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA does not accept or retain unsolicited resumes or phone calls and/or respond to them, or to any third party representing job seekers.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.
Clicking this link will take you to an external site where you can continue with your application