INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA
Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees share in the ownership of the business and are empowered to make a difference?
INEOS Olefins and Polymers USA
OT Network Specialist
Battleground Manufacturing Complex – La Porte, TX
Organizational context and job purpose
INEOS Olefins and Polymers USA includes the Polyethylene and Polypropylene plants in La Porte, TX (BMC), the Chocolate Bayou Plant (CBW) south of Alvin, TX, which manufactures Olefins and Polypropylene, the Carson, Ca. Polypropylene manufacturing plant and the Hobbs, NM gas plant.
The BMC OT Network Specialist will support technology implementation and maintenance within the scope of the following Operational Technology (OT) at BMC:
- Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) infrastructure
- Associated computers
- Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS)
- On-process Analyzers
- Equipment monitoring devices
- Any general purpose PLC or network devices such as relays, RTUs and HMI/PCs
How the Role Fits In
This position will work closely with the Ineos O&P OT Security Advisor as well as the BMC DCS Network Administrator for guidance on cybersecurity requirements and networks. The BMC OT Network Specialist is responsible for design (configuration) and maintenance (upgrades and migrations) of cybersecurity-related software and hardware (such as Anti-virus, Whitelisting, Backup and Restore, Monitoring Tools, Firmware and Patches, etc.). This position interfaces with Operations, Maintenance Capital Projects, Process Safety, Reliability and Mechanical Integrity Groups to ensure appropriate alignment in the delivery and sustainability of PLC security at the BMC site. This position reports to the DCS Engineering Authority for day-to-day work coordination and implementation.
Responsibilities AND Accountabilities
The OT Network Specialist supports all stages of the capital process Front End Loading (FEL) design, detailed design / development, and Start-Up & Commissioning. These capital process deliverables also include the development of documentation to deliver stage reviews and preventive maintenance requirements to deliver a robust life cycle and optimized OT equipment performance. The position is also responsible for maintaining, troubleshooting, optimizing existing systems (hardware & software) in accordance with industry and Ineos cybersecurity best practices.
The BMC OT Network Specialist supports assessment, design, documentation, configuration, testing, and commissioning of new installations.
Further responsibilities and accountabilities include:
- Effective performance in this role is critical to the efficient operation of the manufacturing sites. To ensure PLCs and OT equipment operate as designed, the individual must provide support for the technical components of our OT computing environment. This includes networks, servers, protocols, hardware, operating systems, firewalls, etc.
- Support OT Cybersecurity and Network Infrastructure Advisor in the development of strategic plans for our I&E/PLCs security and development of site procedures/guidelines.
- Support and actively participate in the troubleshooting and maintaining of PLC’s and resolving issues associated with PLC implementation including network security and network administration.
- Create and execute project plans to meet corporate cybersecurity guidelines (IGGNs) for both requirements and timelines.
- Assist with the design and implementation of disaster recovery and business continuity plans, procedures and audits.
- Operational Technology (OT) Network SME for all Site projects.
- Ensure initial configuration, upgrades and migrations of cybersecurity related software and hardware are working as planned (Anti-virus, Whitelisting, Backup and Restore, Monitoring Tools, Firmware and Patches, etc.)
- Support documentation of PLC and I&E networked equipment implementation.
- Support, train and mentors unit technicians to troubleshoot and protect the PLC systems against cyber-attacks.
- Stay abreast of current technology and strive to improve the plants General PLC and Safety PLC systems.
- Review and provide comments on engineering design packages (issued for approval and construction packages) requiring PLC hardware changes.
- Support I&E Superintendent, I&E Team Leaders and I&E Maintenance Trainer to identify and develop training to enhance and maintain I&E personnel PLC competencies.
- Lead, drive, and assure that BMC site PLC Systems have up to date narratives, documentation of requested changes, testing, and commissioning plans in accordance with Site procedures, PSM, and ISA requirements.
- Monitor Site Acceptance Tests (SAT), capturing and logging areas of improvement and required actions to achieve successful products.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Cyber Security, or related fields preferred. Associate degree in Computer technology or professional computer/network degree and SIS/PLC experience acceptable.
- Cisco certification (CCNA preferred)
- Hands-on experience supporting PLCs such as Allen Bradley, Triconex, GE, and Siemens PLC’s.
- Working knowledge of information security standards, frameworks, risk assessment and best practices from ISA99, IEC62443, NIST882.
- Familiarity with I&E networked systems such as electrical protective relays, RTUs, analyzers, etc preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of industrial experience working with Programmable Logic Controller including but not limited to testing, programming of interlocks, automation, simulation and maintenance.
Skills and Competencies
- Experience with Digital security technology, TCP/IP networking, deployment of Windows service packs and updates, disaster recovery planning and implementation
- Experience with support of IT/OT systems, including network implementation & segmentation, PLC's and field devices, and IT systems preferred
- Understands both Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) / Distributed control Systems ( DCS) , Windows based PC's and server VM's and industrial network architectures and how to effectively support these technologies
- Possess knowledge on Cisco Networking & Virtualization platforms such as VMWare, VXRail, vSAN and NSX. Willingness to learn and develop new skills
- Strong instrument and control system reliability background required
- Experience with execution of capital and expense projects observing Site procedures and protocols.
- Must be a self-starter and capable of working on an individual basis and in a team environment.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize work and deliver quality results on time.
- Ability to coach and mentor maintenance technicians and junior level technical staff preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills required
- Strong leadership skills, including ability to lead and motivate individuals and teams
- Proven ability to influence and manage change
- Demonstrated ability to build positive relationships with plant personnel supporting SIS, PLC and Analyzer equipment: Operations, Maintenance, Technology and Capital Projects team.
- Demonstrated problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Self-Motivated individual who takes initiative to get results and seeks opportunities for additional responsibility
- Plant level experience and understanding of P&IDs, instrument loop drawings, logic controller terminology, and Industry Standards (ANSI, NFPA, ISA, IEC, API, etc.) that influence SIS functionality and PLC configurations.
- Experience working with multiple engineering disciplines, as well as contractors supporting delivery of SIS equipment, PLC programming/hardware, and PSM Initiatives.
Candidates are required to be fully COVID vaccinated.
INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA is an equal opportunity employer.
If you are selected for a position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-employment drug screen (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-employment verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.
INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA does not accept or retain unsolicited resumes or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance. On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.