INEOS Oligomers USA LLC
Mechanical Equipment Specialist
Chocolate Bayou, Alvin, TX – USA
Organizational context and job purpose
With LAO manufacturing facilities in Canada and Belgium, INEOS Oligomers is one of the large merchant suppliers of Linear Alpha Olefins (“LAO”). LAO’s are used in a variety of industries, with main markets being comonomers for polyethylene, feedstock for the production of lubricants, surfactants, lubricant additives, and paper sizing chemicals, and base stock for drilling fluids.
As part of its growth strategy, INEOS Oligomers invested $500 million in a new world-scale LAO production facility located on INEOS Olefins & Polymers site in Chocolate Bayou, Alvin, Texas (“Plant”).
As a Responsible Care company, we encourage our employees to embrace the principles of Responsible Care® by actively practicing them, promoting awareness of Responsible Care® and encouraging others to commit to these principles. Responsible Care® is the chemistry industry's commitment to sustainability - the betterment of society, the environment and the economy. Its ethic and principles compel us to innovate for safer and more environmentally friendly products and processes, and to work cooperatively to identify and eliminate harm throughout the entire life cycle of their products.
This position has accountability, in keeping with the INEOS Responsible Care principles and ethics, for all aspects of the operation of the Oligomers Plant, including safety/environment, people management, cost control, quality, production planning, project and process follow-up.
This position will embrace and promote the INEOS 20 safety principles.
Purpose of the job:
The primary role of the Maintenance Specialist is to give technical support for mechanical maintenance activities within the LAO and PAO plants.
The Mechanical Equipment Specialist will report to the Reliability Supervisor.
The Mechanical Equipment Specialist works closely with Engineering, Projects, Production, Contract Maintenance, and outside contractors to perform maintenance repairs and upgrades in the assigned area. The ability to analyze, troubleshoot and solve both stationary and rotating equipment problems is essential in this role. The Mechanical Reliability Specialist coordinates long-term maintenance activities to maintain a safe, efficient, reliable operation. This Specialist has indirect/secondary responsibility for managing and reporting the maintenance and reliability budget for assigned cost centers
The Mechanical Specialist is responsible for working closely with various service contractors, this work is to include identifying potential contractors, identifying scopes of work, creating scope/bid packages, evaluating bid packages, meeting all requirements of contractor safety program, overseeing work as it is executed in the operating units, performing field safety audits and following up on safety concerns.
Responsibilities AND Accountabilities
Accountability 1: SHE Stewardship
- Accountable for understanding and putting into practice the INEOS 20 Principles. Additionally, the Mechanical Specialist has a responsibility to cascade the understanding of these principles through the plant.
- Act as a safety leader by promoting and being an active participant in proactive behavioral safety techniques such as BSP, Traction, and life-critical audits.
- Lead and ensure JSA completion on all unusual maintenance work.
- Be assigned a lead role overseeing large maintenance jobs to ensure they are completed in a safe and efficient manner.
- Day-to-day interface with operations, maintenance, reliability team, and construction personnel to troubleshoot, optimize and ensure safe and reliable operations in the LAO and PAO plants.
Accountability 2: Troubleshooting Equipment
- Prior to Turn Around (TAR) or Outage, the candidate must review all the equipment historical data available to provide a precise recommendation for rotating equipment repair or upgrade
- Provide a clear scope of work for all rotating equipment that will be worked on during TAR along with a cost estimate and submitted to the TAR group in a timely manner
- Provide clear communication and direction to any shop or vendor worked with to support the TAR or outages
- During the TAR or Outage, high involvement should be seen, and progress should be communicated to the proper personnel on a regular basis to prevent missing any opportunity and to avoid a miscommunication, which could lead to a delay in TAR
- Capture and enter documentation into SharePoint after TAR or outage to aid in future TAR’s.
- Ensure all capital spares for rotating equipment in area of responsibility are up to date
- Generate a list of all the existing rotating equipment procedures within the assigned area; review updates and submit them for approval in a timely manner
- Develop equipment repair/overhaul procedures for any rotating equipment in need of one
- For Root Cause Analyses (RCA) that have been assigned for the purpose of improving reliability, ensure they have been completed in a timely manner, that management approval has been received, and the action items have been documented into Traction with the date of completion
- Upon RCA completion, a Learning from Incident (LFI) needs to be generated and communicated to the appropriate personnel
- Provide the technical support needed for the project and commissioning to start up the unit successfully
- Technical expertise in maintenance repair techniques. Works with outside services to find innovative/new technology available in the maintenance field.
- Analyze, troubleshoot and solve rotating equipment performance issues of reciprocating compressors, screw compressor, centrifugal sealed/mag-drive pumps, vacuum pump, vacuum blowers, furnace fans, gearboxes, etc.
- Provide estimates to the area budgeting team for small capital jobs and serve as SPA on small project and expense jobs.
- Participate as a member of certain large capital and new technology groups as part of the optimization of the operations.
- Assist in new equipment start-up/commissioning
- Project activities include scoping and prioritization, preliminary and detailed mechanical equipment designs, start-up support, post-audit evaluations and completion of proper documentation.
- Serve as the mechanical lead during unit turnarounds.
- Specify repair/replacement methods and materials per INEOS specifications, approves job plans and estimates.
Accountability 3: Reliability Activities
- Create, update, correct and maintain equipment files. Ensure new equipment file has the information needed for maintenance and makes recommendations on stores stock parts.
- Assist in developing the equipment PM frequencies and scopes
- For critical rotating equipment assist with the development of the equipment’s repair procedures.
- Works with the Procurement department to procure and expedite materials and services as needed.
- Act as a field representative and point of contact for outside vendors working in the plant. This includes performing field safety orientations, permit and regular field visits during the work performed.
- Serve as field Job Rep for third party contractors performing millwright type work on the premises on an as needed basis and during major outages.
- Represent plant at vendor shops during repairs and tests of plant equipment. Witness tears down and re-assembly of rotating equipment, balance checks, and run tests. Provide Plant personnel a detailed report of all shop witnessed activities.
- Serve as field Job Rep for third-party contractors performing millwright-type work on the premises on an as-needed basis and during major Outages.
- Review monthly equipment vibration routes and follow up with related repair recommendations as required.
- Perform other assigned tasks.
Skills & Knowledge Required
- High School Diploma or equivalent is required; Associates in applicable field of technology is preferred
- Five (5) years petrochemical experience is required with an associate degree; 7 years required without an associates degree
- Candidate must possess working knowledge of Microsoft office products
- Candidate must have working knowledge and understanding of the SAP Plant Maintenance Module.
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to work with diverse groups in sometimes tense situations to gain consensus and a clear path forward
- Working knowledge of various mechanical repairs and techniques: welding and piping fabrication and repair, heat exchanger repair, painting and insulation processes, scaffolding, vehicle maintenance
- Ability to use INEOS specifications, especially piping specifications and mechanical procedures
- Previous experience with work package generation/work scope definition is preferred
- Previous experience with managing and understanding the budgeting process is preferred
- Previous experience with managing contract workforce is preferred
- Previous experience with finishing equipment, gearboxes, gas/combustion turbines, and solids handling equipment is preferred
ADA Physical requirements, visual acuity requirements and environmental conditions
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to lift at least 50lbs, walking, climbing ladders/stairs, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling. Must be able to perform climbing, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling and manual operation of various size valves and equipment.
- The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts and/or operation of machines (including inspection); using measurement devices; and/or assembly or fabrication parts at distances close to the eyes.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make discriminations in sound.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.
Clicking this link will take you to an external site where you can continue with your application