Organizational Context and Job Purpose
INEOS is a global manufacturer of petrochemicals, speciality chemicals and oil products. Comprising 36 individual businesses, we operate 194 facilities in 29 countries throughout the world.
With LAO manufacturing facilities in USA, Canada and Belgium, INEOS Oligomers is one of the largest merchant suppliers of Linear Alpha Olefins (LAO), which are used as co-monomers in polyethylene manufacture as well as in surfactants, lubricants and oil drilling fluids. Our technology has a clear competitive advantage over our competitors. Further developments of the technology are planned to be an integral part of this project.
Our markets are growing worldwide. Through selective investments in new assets and new technology, we intend to capture this growth to develop our business and grow with our customers. As part of this exciting growth strategy, we are investing in a new world scale production facility located in the Middle East. The plant capacity will be 420 KTA and is planned to come on-line in 2027.
Purpose of the job:
The Process Control and Automation Engineer will be part of the process team and report to the Process Design Manager. The Process Control and Automation Engineer will be the key liaison between the process and operation team and the FEED/EPC contractor as well as main automation contractor (MAC) team. This position will lead the development of process control strategy as well as the implementation of all control and automation elements related to the DCS System for the LAO and PAO facility. This position will require extensive (over 50%) international travel to facilitate in-person involvement throughout the engineering and start-up phases. This will be an expatriate position located in multiple international locations throughout project.
The Mechanical Discipline Engineer, under the direction of the Discipline Engineering Manager, will provide mechanical expertise related to static and rotating equipment within the design of the plant and associated “offsites” facilities. This includes, but is not limited to, reviewing specifications and standards, solving technical or complex mechanical problems, supporting and documenting lessons learned, interacting with engineering and construction contractors, and acting as key member of the owner’s project team. The Mechanical Discipline Engineer will ensure mechanical integrity of the design of the plant and the associated offsites, and will align and coordinate with Instrument, Electrical and Piping disciplines within the project team and with the relevant disciplines within the PMT and FEED/EPC contractors to maintain design and construction consistency and reliability.
This position will require frequent international travel (50%) to facilitate in-person involvement throughout the lifecycle of the project.
- Safety Performance (SHE)
- Attention to hazards inherent to the process
- Project cost, schedule, and construction plans
- Quality of engineering standards, designs, specifications, and other requirements
- Protection of INEOS IP and maintaining appropriate confidentiality
- Budget and schedule
- Business and Operational expectations
- Safety Performance (SHE)
- Market for contractors & availability of technical resources
- Purchasing environment for process equipment and bulks
- Local laws, environmental permitting and regulations
- Site partner interface and relationships
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Accountability 1: Provide Pre-FEED support
- Ensure world class Safety, Health, and Environmental performance is delivered by mechanical discipline at all stages during the project.
- Carry out SHE audits of the PMT or EPC contractor’s activities.
- Actively embrace and promote the INEOS 20 Safety Principles - visibly demonstrate safety leadership.
- Work closely with EPC contractor discipline engineers to ensure that all engineering issues are properly resolved in a timely manner and that designs are appropriate and comply with project specifications and standards.
- Create, review, and edit mechanical design standards, maintenance procedures, engineering procedures, and other safety procedures,
- Support assurance of provision of fit-for-purpose solutions that meet project objectives by EPC contractors,
- Support EPC contractors and vendors in developing fit-for-purpose Inspection and Test Plans (ITP’s) for equipment, packages, and bulk material supply, auditing vendor compliance as required,
- Support the EPC contractor in developing fit-for-purpose ITP, fabrication and construction, and auditing contractor compliance as required.
- Liaise closely with the EPC contractor personnel on all mechanical engineering matters, ensuring field technical queries are resolved in a proper and timely manner,
- Ensure the facilities are designed, built, and commissioned in compliance with all relevant statutory and project regulations.
- Support contract and procurement function:
- Provide discipline specific input into the preparation, review, and approval of procurement procedures, supplier lists, contractors, and vendor pre-qualification, etc,
- Provide discipline input into tender clarification/evaluation,
- Ensure all activities are carried out in accordance with project specifications and standards, applicable codes, QA/QC policies, and materials meet design standards and comply with the mechanical requirements of the Process Design Package,
- Evaluate EPC contractors Bid tabulation and supporting documentation and recommend the best value offers.
- Support pre-commissioning and commissioning activities as required:
- Assist the Commissioning Manager with relevant interfaces with INEOS stakeholders, ensuring the operations function is well-prepared for eventual project ownership, including the timely handover of the agreed instrumentation engineering deliverables to support training, operations and maintenance procedure development, maintenance management systems population, etc,
- Define the required storage and installation conditions to ensure equipment integrity until start-up (in collaboration with Commissioning Manager),
- Define and optimize spare parts requirements.
- Owner of Reliability and Availability Modelling (RAM) Studies throughout the course of the project.
- Support management and control of associated technical documentation.
- Support multi-disciplinary project reviews:
- Working with the Operations and Maintenance Representatives, ensure detailed reviews of selected instruments and controls are performed with the operating LAO facilities,
- Translate existing LAO designs and lessons learned into guidance for project technical specification,
- Act as custodian of mechanical technical specifications and standards,
- Assist with a detailed review of all FEED contractors, vendor systems, process, procedures, including PEPs, quality plans, etc for mechanical aspects.
Skills & Knowledge Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent experience) and,
- At least 8 years’ experience in manufacturing environment, however, candidates with relevant 5 years’ experience will be considered
- Capital project execution experience is a plus
- Significant experience working with (within) engineering companies on major petrochemical projects,
- Experienced with pumps, reciprocating compressors, screw compressors, fans, gearboxes and associated items such as seals, couplings, bearings, etc…
- Strong knowledge of rotating equipment standards such as API 610, 617, 618, 619, 674, 675, ISO 5199, etc…
- Strong fundamental understanding in design of rotating and stationary mechanical equipment,
- Critical thinking to evaluate competing priorities and take rational decisions,
- Capability to assess impact of specifications and standards for both rotating and fixed equipment on reliability and maintainability of production unit,
- Strong written and oral communication skills at all organizational levels,
- Demonstrated capability to build networks to enhance effectiveness and share knowledge,
- Self-motivated, self-starter; able to work with minimal supervision,
- Tenacity and patience,
- Able to connect with people from differing cultures and backgrounds, within and outside the organization
- Able to work in an intense, fast paced environment,
- Setting high standards of performance and ensuring that they are met or exceeded,
- Capable to manage multiple complex tasks simultaneously, with ability to prioritize and identify and focus on critical issues
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.