INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA
Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees are empowered to make a difference?
INEOS Olefins and Polymers USA
Job title: Lead Process Control Engineer
Salary range: $127,810 - $191,715
Location: Chocolate Bayou Works – Alvin, TX
Organizational Context and Job Purpose
The Olefins & Polymers USA division of INEOS is one of the largest producers of olefins and polyolefins in North America. From its manufacturing locations at Chocolate Bayou and the Battleground Manufacturing Complex, it is a merchant marketer of butadiene, ethylene, polypropylene and high-density polyethylene with annual revenue of over $4b.
The Chocolate Bayou Site is located in Southeastern Texas about 40 miles South of Houston and consists of two Olefins units that produce approximately 4bn pounds/year of ethylene, 2 Polypropylene units that produce approximately 1bn pounds/ year of polypropylene, and the Light Ends storage & transfer facilities at Stratton Ridge.
How the Role Fits In
This Lead Process Control Engineer role is part of the Process Control and Optimization group, part of the Central Applied Technology organization. Engineers in this group support advanced applications, process control infrastructure systems, and projects across O&P USA. This role would provide advanced support for control systems and networks as well as perform hands-on work for projects, primarily at our Houston-area facilities.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The position is accountable for understanding and putting into practice the INEOS 20 Principles. Additionally, this position has a special responsibility to cascade the understanding of these principles throughout their work group.
Accountability: SHE Stewardship
Meet all SHE objectives and comply with all governmental laws and policies for a manufacturing site.
- Accountable for understanding and putting into practice the INEOS 20 Principles. Additionally, the DCS Engineering Team Leader has a responsibility to cascade the understanding of these principles through their team.
- Ensure process hazards are systematically identified, risk assessed, reviewed and managed.
- Always place the safe operation or shutdown of the asset ahead of production.
- When in doubt ensure the asset is always taken to its safest state.
- Ensure assets operating envelopes and protective systems are in place to deliver safe operation and maintain asset integrity.
- Identify and establish operating, maintenance, and CAPEX strategies to drive asset integrity and environmental compliance.
- Promote, ensure and sustain commitment to operate assets with no harm to people and to the environment by visibly demonstrating Safety Leadership.
- Ensure that a comprehensive SHE management process delivers and improves safety performance through incident reporting, behavioral awareness, compliance to policies, audits, and corrective action tracking/resolution and incident investigation.
- Organize, lead and support site safety committees and emergency response teams.
Technical assurance for the timely front end engineering design for capital projects, including
- Lead assigned projects from early FEL to completion.
- Responsible to interface with project management to ensure projects success in terms of functionality , budget and scope
- Manage project scope and provide technical guidance to process control engineers / control system engineers.
- Work seamlessly with other pertaining groups such as instrumentation/ analyzers & operations to identify interfaces and solving any potential hurdles for project execution
- Responsible for all project pertaining documentations and related MOC’s that are assigned
- Interface with site managers & operations to ensure projects installed are turned over to operations and functional as designed
- Provide Process control engineering quality assurance of the EPC deliverables.
- Ensure Process control standards are followed in all assigned projects; work with technical authority and Team leads to address any standard deviations.
- Complete all related documentation from project inception to startup. Update all drawings pertaining to PSIM (P&ID’s, Loop Drawings, CFD’s , Drawings etc)
- Expected post project plant support for all projects.
- Support all phases of assigned capital projects including equipment selection, installation, configuration, start-up, checkout, and supervision of personnel contracted for specialized equipment installation. Responsible for identifying reliability issues and recommending solutions for system improvements.
- Train and mentor the site Digital System Specialists in the selection, installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of their TPS and EPKS hardware and networks.
Accountability: Site Resource
- Act as a DCS and Process Control resource.
- Source of knowledge and expertise in the application of process control technology and communication protocols.
- Key resource for site engineers for advice on specification and guidance issues
- Develop company and industry contacts to network issues on standards and practices
- Knowledge of engineering tools, systems, practices commonly used in the petrochemical and pipelines industries. Utilize this background to peer assist sites and specific projects as appropriate.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree + 10-15 years ( Chemical/ Electrical / Instrumentation/ Control Systems)
- Strong knowledge of Honeywell Experion Systems ( TPS & C300)
Key skills and competencies are:
- Client Service Oriented, Skill in partnering with internal customers at all levels to define problems, identify solutions, and facilitate change
- Impact and influence, able to persuade others to a particular course of action
- Teamwork, shares accountability for team results and utilizes interpersonal skills to improve team performance
- Analytical and conceptual thinking, able to understand both the details and the underlying systemic issues in order to plan and implement creative and effective solutions to business challenges
- Innovative and information seeking, monitors internal and industry trends to identify new opportunities. Organizes work effectively and uses available resources
- Anticipate problems and adjusts accordingly
- Demonstrated ability to manage progress and deliver multiple and competing priorities.
- Ability to manage multiple projects , activities and tasks simultaneously
- Broad estimating skills and practical understanding of costs ( capital, operating & lifecycle)
- Detailed knowledge of Honeywell DCS ( TPS , EPKS) , architecture , networks etc
- A broad and detailed understanding of the Control systems Architecture , data mapping ( data flows) between DCS and the MES
- A detailed understanding of the Networking, Virtualization infrastructure, LCN infrastructure, fiber optic networks.
- Experience in migrating LCN to ELCN is preferred.
- Knowledge of PLC’s ( AB / Triconex/ HIMA) and their operations is desirable. Ability to perform communication between the DCS and the 3rd party systems is required
Must be able to perform office tasks to include but is not limited to computer work that involves but is not limited to generation of reports, scheduling, data entry, calculations, research and electronic mail. Computer tasks may be performed up to 4-6 hours per day. These tasks may include but would not be limited to frequent:
prolonged mouse and keyboard usage
prolonged visual focusing
reaching in various planes
other physical tasks as needed
INEOS offers a competitive wage/benefits package and a safe, healthy, and professional work environment.
This position will work a flexible 9/80 work schedule which provides the flexibility of alternating Fridays off.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.