Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees share in the ownership of the business and are empowered to make a difference?
Organizational context and job purpose
The INEOS Nitriles Lima Ohio plant is looking for a Laboratory Technician whose primary role is providing quality parameter data on product and process streams. Additionally, technician will perform those tasks and duties required for efficient and optimal laboratory performance. The position provides technical support for operations, logistics, marketing, and support of other Business Unit improvement efforts.
The Total Quality Management System shall be incorporated into all job activities. All job activities should be executed in a safe and efficient manner consistent with the INEOS 20 Principles and the Culture of Prevention.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Completes prescribed tasks of lab operation and field analyzer preventive maintenance in a given time schedule. Trains and qualifies for all jobs within lab areas.
- Receives oral and written instructions from supervisor(s) regarding changes in testing requirements, methods or other non-routine special projects.
- Works directly with other lab technicians, operational technicians and other groups to mutually solve analytical and operational problems.
- Performs a variety of standardized qualitative and quantitative tests on plant products and at various stages of synthesis. This includes sampling, testing, communicating results, instructing plant and newly hired lab personnel in the use of standardized test procedures, preparing solutions and reagents required for analyses. Works in a consistently safe manner to assure "safe production".
- Trains and becomes proficient on the upkeep and calibration of laboratory instrumentation to maintain and ensure accurate measurements.
- Analytical skills needed include 1) quantitative sampling, weighing, measuring, and titrating techniques, 2) instrumentation analyses, 3) chemical related calculations, 4) observations 5) reporting 6) computer skills 7) maintains lab notebook, monitors and evaluates quality of data. Participates in selection of new lab equipment. Participates in lab inspections, safety sampling, housekeeping checks. Repairs minor hazards and notifies for work orders to repair more serious ones.
- Promptly communicates abnormal conditions to immediate supervisor.
- Maintains clean and orderly area and reports all safety hazards immediately to the supervisor.
- Performs all duties in strict accordance with the standard lab procedures and plant/lab safety regulations.
- Works a rotating 10-hour shift on a 24-hour day basis under general supervision of the Laboratory Manager or Shift Supervisor. Hours include weekends, holidays, and overtime assignments as necessitated by Lab Operations.
Skills & Knowledge Required
In compliance with INEOS COVID protocols, candidate must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past last dose of COVID vaccine) prior to start date.
- GED or High School diploma required.
- 3 years’ experience in an industrial chemical laboratory preferred.
- Associates degree in Chemical Technology preferred.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Strong knowledge in Excel, Word and LIMS required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Strong computative and analytical ability required.
- Knowledge of the scientific method and be able to use in practical conditions preferred.
- Knowledge of the following preferred:
- Gas Chromatography (lab and field)
- Carbon Analyzer
- pH Meter and Analyzers
- Turbidity Meters and Analyzers
- Specific Ion Electrode
- PAMS Monitors
- Vacuum Pump
- Wet Test Meters
- Surface Area Analyzer
- Particle Size Analyzer
- Wet Chemical Methods
- Conductivity Meter
- CEM’s Analyzers
- O2 Analyzers
- Chlorine Analyzers
- Karl Fischer
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.