Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees share in the ownership of the business and are empowered to make a difference?
and Job Purpose
INEOS is a rapidly growing manufacturer of petrochemicals, specialty and intermediate chemicals and polymers. Formed in 1998, the company has grown to 67 manufacturing facilities in 16 countries throughout the world with approximately 17,000 employees. INEOS’s annual sales are around $40bn making it one of the largest chemical companies in the world.
INEOS Nitriles consists of a portfolio of products that include Acrylonitrile, Acetonitrile, Hydrogen Cyanide and Acetone Cyanohydrin. From a market perspective, Nitriles is seen as a market, technology and product stewardship leader for these products. To serve our customers, INEOS Nitriles has manufacturing facilities in the United Kingdom, Germany, and the United States (Ohio and Texas).
The INEOS Nitriles Green Lake Plant is looking for a Laboratory Technician whose primary role is providing quality parameter data on product and process streams. Additionally, technician will perform those tasks and duties required for efficient, optimal and safe laboratory performance. The position provides technical support for operations, logistics, marketing, and support of other Business Unit improvement efforts.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Technician job activities should be executed in a safe and efficient manner consistent with the INEOS 20 Principles and the Culture of Prevention.
- Embraces Life Saving Rules in all aspects of the job.
- Completes basic prescribed tasks of lab operation and field analyzer preventive maintenance in a given time schedule. Trains and qualifies for all jobs within operating lab areas. Trains individually as work load permits during normal work schedule and in classes as scheduled.
- Receives oral and written instructions from supervisor(s) regarding changes in testing requirements, methods or other non-routine special projects.
- Works directly with other lab technicians, I&E technicians, operational technicians, shipping technicians and chemists to mutually solve analytical and operational problems.
- Performs a variety of standardized qualitative and quantitative tests on plant products and at various stages of synthesis. This includes sampling, testing, communicating results, instructing plant and newly hired lab personnel in the use of standardized test procedures, maintaining lab inventories at proper levels, preparing solutions and reagents required for analyses. Works in a consistently safe manner to assure "safe production".
- Performs upkeep and calibration of laboratory instrumentation to maintain and ensure accurate measurements.
- Receives, prepares, and coordinates shipping of lab samples per plants needs
- Manage laboratory supply inventory, including ordering, receiving and storage
- Performs: 1) quantitative sampling, weighing, measuring, and titrating techniques, 2) instrumentation analyses, 3) chemical related calculations, 4) observations 5) reporting 6) computer skills 7) Maintains lab notebook, monitors, and evaluates quality of data. Participates in selection of new lab equipment. Participates in lab inspections, safety sampling, STA’s. Repairs minor hazards and writes work orders to repair more serious ones.
- Promptly communicates abnormal conditions to person in charge
- Maintains clean and orderly area and reports all safety hazards immediately to the supervisor.
- Dispose of laboratory waste streams in accordance with laboratory procedures and plant/lab safety regulations
- Performs all duties in strict accordance with the standard lab procedures and plant/lab safety regulations.
- Works a rotating 12-hour shift under supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor, Shift Manager, or person in charge
- Hours include weekends, holidays, and overtime assignments as necessitated by Lab Operations. Substitutes occasionally for shift lab technician serving rotational stand-by duty for holidays, weekends and other off duty hours
- GED or High School diploma required.
- Experience in a chemical laboratory is a plus.
- Strong knowledge in Excel, Word and LIMS desired.
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Strong computational and analytical ability desired.
- Knowledge of the scientific method and use in practical conditions is desired.
- Knowledge of the following is desired: Gas Chromatography (lab and field), spectrophotometer, Carbon Analyzer, pH Meter and Analyzers, Balances, Turbidity Meters and Analyzers, Auto-Titrators, Specific Ion Electrode, Refractometer, Vacuum Pumps, Wet Test Meters, High Pressure Liquid Chromatography, Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrophotometer, Surface Area Analyzer, Particle Size Analyzer, Atomic Absorption, Spectrophotometer, Conductivity Meter, Wet chemical methods, O2 Analyzers, CEM's Analyzers, Chlorine Analyzers, PAMS Monitors.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and perform tasks requiring repetitive use of hands.
- The employee must occasionally walk, stand and travel by car, or other means.
- Exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Employee must be able to physically evacuate himself from the site without assistance in a safe manner without assistance.
- Climbing; ascending or descending ladders, stairs, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
Work Environment. This job is performed mainly in a temperature-controlled office environment. As required, the incumbent will be expected to perform some work outside under hot or cold conditions.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.