INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA
Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees share in the ownership of the business and are empowered to make a difference?
Organizational context and job purpose
The INEOS O&P USA business manufactures and markets Ethylene, Propylene, Butadiene, Polypropylene and Polyethylene. Manufacturing sites include Chocolate Bayou Works (Alvin, TX), Battleground Manufacturing Complex (LaPorte, TX), and Carson PP Unit, (Carson, CA), with a division office in League City,
This position is part of the Analytical team at the Battleground Manufacturing Complex. The plant, which is located in La Porte, Texas, manufactures approximately 2 billion pounds of polyethylene and polypropylene annually. These materials are used in many applications such as containers for milk, water, fruit juice, gas tanks, carpet backing, roofing membranes, pipes, or toys.
How the Role Fits In:
The Lab Technician role reports to the Team Leader. The physical work location will be at the Battleground Manufacturing Complex in La Porte, TX.
The Lab Technician is responsible for using Standard Analytical Methods to provide prompt and accurate testing for conformance to quality specifications, for operational process control, to fulfil special customer requirements, or in support of troubleshooting or improvement projects.
Responsibilities AND Accountabilities
- Follow all safety/PPE rules and actively promote safety issues such as behavior based safety, safety audits, safety committee meetings, safety improvement reports, job safety analysis, safety inspections, etc.
- Responsible for Safety, Health and Environmental aspects of day to day operations in the lab through adherence to SHE procedures. Directly responsible for understanding, promoting and upholding the INEOS 20 Safety Principles.
- Basic knowledge of testing: complex equipment, basic chemistry or physical properties and specialized procedures. Conduct testing and analysis which sample preparation. Ensure that all analyses are performed in accordance with procedures.
- Prioritize customer requests and testing, perform tests under appropriate conditions, enter results into LIMS system. Report deviation from calibration to scientist or team leader.
- Communicate within the Analytical group/TSD/Manufacturing of test results. Discuss special testing requirements if necessary. Communicate with internal customers concerning priorities and special requests for analysis.
- Analyze monitor samples and keep equipment monitor records in accordance with the monitor policy.
- Proactively and continuously clean the laboratory and equipment to display and maintain the housekeeping standards necessary for a world-class organization.
- Follow the rules of statistical process control (SPC) on laboratory test results to assure the measurement system is in statistical control.
- Actively promote quality goals and demonstrate attention to quality in job performance.
- Check operation of testing equipment, troubleshoot equipment to identify and/or correct source of problem, perform required routine preventative maintenance, and notify the team leader of any abnormalities or maintenance requirements.
- Write Maintenance Work Orders as needed and initiate documentation in accordance with equipment maintenance policy.
- Conduct job tasks in a professional manner utilizing good housekeeping practices and laboratory technique.
- Participate in training in other Analytical areas. Support workload in these areas when a need for higher testing turnover is required. Work as part of the laboratory team to accomplish organization goals.
- Follow and support the INEOS Mission, Values, Philosophies and Quality statements.
Skills & Knowledge Required
- Associate Degree preferred in Chemical Technology or equivalent lab experience.
- 1-3 years lab or operations experience in a chemical plant, refinery, or gas processing plant.
- Position is straight days with possible weekend standby on a rotating basis.
- Computer Skills: E-mail, SAP, Word, Excel and PowerPoint experience preferred.
- Experience using Personal Protective Equipment
- Experience following safety procedures, including OSHA standards preferred
- Experience in one or more of the following: Chromatography, HPLC, GC, Wet Chemistry Methods such as Extractions and Solubility
- Performance Bias: A bias for action – does things before being asked or forced by events
- Business Insight: Understands internal/external customer needs and strives to exceed their expectations.
- Partnership & Teamwork: Demonstrates shared commitment to the success of the team and the wider organization.
- Customer focused - works effectively and efficiently
- Understands general laboratory analytical techniques & practices.
- Problem Solving and Judgment
- Performance Delivery. Highly motivated
- Technical and Functional Skills
- Anticipates problems and adjusts accordingly
- Consistently makes timely, effective decisions
- Basic knowledge in chemical reactions and polymer properties
Grade: 30-31 Nonexempt (commensurate with skills and experience)
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.