Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees share in the ownership of the business and are empowered to make a difference?
and Job Purpose
INEOS is a global chemical company. Formed in 1998, the company has grown to 36 businesses with 194 sites in 29 countries throughout the world with approximately 26,000 employees. INEOS’s annual sales are around $65bn making it one of the largest chemical companies in the world
INEOS Nitriles consists of a portfolio of products that include Acrylonitrile, Acetonitrile, Hydrogen Cyanide and Acetone Cyanohydrin. From a market perspective, Nitriles is seen as a market, technology and product stewardship leader for these products. To serve our customers, INEOS Nitriles has manufacturing facilities in the Germany and the United States (Ohio and Texas).
Detailed knowledge of instrument software and hardware, method creation and validation, and instrument troubleshooting is required. The Lab Supervisor / Quality Manager will embrace the 20 Principals and Life Saving Rules in all aspects of work performed and has a special responsibility to cascade the understanding of these principals/rules to their team. This role reports directly to the Technical Manager.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Accountable for the compliance and certification to ISO 9001:2015
- Responsible for the creating and implementing the overall Quality Management System for the site including Quality / Laboratory SOP’s.
- Schedule internal and external audits as related to ISO 9001-2015.
- Establish Quality Objectives for the site.
- Responsible for leading quality incident reporting, investigation, and corrective actions.
- Responsible for safe operation of the laboratory.
- Directly manage the lab technicians in the QA / QC site laboratory. This includes evaluating performance, completing annual performance reviews, and issuing disciplinary actions if necessary.
- Assures adherence of process streams, waste streams, final product, and product shipments to specifications, by prompt and accurate reporting of results to all pertinent parties.
- Maintains accurate record keeping systems to provide background information for QA/QC for product quality. Maintains sufficient sample retains of products to evaluate customer shipments as required
- Organizes and communicates product quality control data for distribution to customers. Technical liaison with customers and vendors in resolution of quality issues.
- Ensures site environmental sampling and analysis is conducted in accordance with regulatory and permit requirements. Coordinates all external laboratory analysis for environmental testing.
- Schedules work in the lab in accordance with plant priorities. Expedites requests for rush work. Remains on call 24 hours per day, seven days per week to assist with plant emergencies. Coordinates laboratory work for special projects with Lima Chemicals Laboratories, Aurora Laboratory, and/or external laboratories as required by the project.
- Assures that all employees are adequately trained including the handling of toxic, corrosive, and flammable substance for handling laboratory emergencies and plant fire brigade and rescue squad procedures. Assists in development and execution of training programs for lab techs, under direction of Technical Manager
- Gives input to Production Manager and Technical Manager on performance reviews for all lab technicians. Points out serious performance shortcomings as they occur and addresses corrective action immediately. Maintains an open, communicative rapport with supervisors and technicians. Develops a strong working relationship with same. Identifies and acts on employee complaints.
- Prepares budget for lab, makes recommendations for new equipment and manning of laboratory. Specifies new equipment approved for capital purchase. Works with Production Manager to assure that expenses for supplies, equipment, and equipment repairs are maintained within budget limits in own area of responsibility.
- Develops and executes a program of preventative maintenance for laboratory equipment, to assure minimal downtime. Evaluate the need for service contracts on key equipment and provide feedback. Coordinate services associated with service contracts – PM and service calls. Recommends replacements or upgrades of laboratory equipment and facilities as required.
- Develops standard test methods. Coordinates to assure continuity of methods with co-producers and R&D. Evaluates methods suggested in literature or from licensees, co-producers, customers, etc. Actively works to research new technologies and develop new methodology that can be used to improve efficiency in the lab.
- Follows industry trends and is alert to new techniques, equipment, and patentable ideas through attendance at technical meetings and perusal of the literature.
- Lead process improvement/project teams as needed.
- Manage capital and expense projects utilizing the Capital Value Process.
- Coordinate field construction and establish a schedule of activities.
Skills & Knowledge Required
The successful candidate will demonstrate previous experience managing projects or programs in petrochemical manufacturing, the ability to function effectively on cross-functional teams and competency in the following key areas:
BS in Chemistry or related field required
- Prior lab experience a plus
- Prior quality management experience a plus
- Ability to influence peers and management
- Demonstrate leadership and communication Skills
- Problem Solving & Judgment
- Performance Delivery
- Technical & Functional Skills, including a strong chemistry/engineering background
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite Applications required. Knowledge in LIMS desired.
- Must work well and communicate with others effectively and professionally.
- Knowledge of the following is desired: Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrophotometry, pH Meter and Analyzers, Turbidity Meters and Analyzers, Auto-Titrators, High Pressure Liquid Chromatography, Atomic Absorption, Conductivity Meter, Wet chemical methods
- Ability to climb fixed ladder cages at heights of 30 ft. at a time. Total of 200 ft. (Employee may need ladders as means of egress during emergency).
- Ability to climb 6 flights of stairs.
- Ability to lift 50 lb.
- Ability to wear required PPE: Hardhat, safety glasses, chemical goggles, face shield, rigid safety shoes/boots, full/half face cartridge masks.
- Ability to work length of time outdoors/ inclement weather.
- Job specific: Climbing, balance, bend/stoop, kneeling, reaching, lifting, carrying.
- Need to evaluate understanding of proper lifting techniques and body mechanics.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.