IN OUR EXPERIENCED TEAM.
INEOS Styrolution is the leading global styrenics supplier, with a focus on styrene monomer, polystyrene, ABS Standard and styrenic specialties. With world-class production facilities and more than 90 years of experience, INEOS Styrolution helps its customers succeed by offering solutions, designed to give them a competitive edge in their markets. At the same time, these innovative and sustainable best-in-class solutions help make the circular economy for styrenics a reality. The company provides styrenic applications for many everyday products across a broad range of industries, including automotive, electronics, household, construction, healthcare, packaging and toys/sports/leisure. In 2020, sales were at 4 billion euros. INEOS Styrolution employs approximately 3,600 people and operates 20 production sites in ten countries.
For our site in Ludwigshafen or Cologne (Germany) we are looking for a
Global Process Technology Engineer ABS (f/m/d)
Organisational context and job purpose
Purpose of the Global Process Technology Engineer ABS job is to define improvement, debottlenecking and expansion plans to meet the company growth strategy. The job holder ensures the design packages for projects are technically sound and technology risks are mitigated. Further more, he/she will provide expert advice to sites on process safety and technology to ensure safe, cost efficient, reliable and available assets and actively promote and drive experience exchange and team work between sites, R&D and project teams.
The Global Process Technology Engineer ABS is expected to approach all aspects of the role with our INEOS 20 Safety Principles and our IGGNs as the foundation of their work.
External / internal influencing factors:
- INEOS Styrolution ABS business is a global business with nine sites with multiple production lines in three regions. We operate in a competitive market and most products have high quality requirements while manufacturing costs remain key. There is increased pressure on sustainability and product integrity of our products. The ABS product portfolio is very broad and consists of standard ABS, mass ABS and speciality ABS including copolymers and polymer blends. The different assets, product range and technologies stems from different heritages. While that supports the broad product portfolio and allows niche solutions it is a complexity for R&D, product development and technology support
- INEOS Styrolution has proprietary ABS Technology that was developed in-house in the different heritages. We are growing rapidly as a company by acquisition and new investments. We have a couple of major investment projects for ABS by expanding, converting and new production lines. We are further developing our ABS technology to three technology platforms: standard ABS (existing), speciality ABS (to be harmonised) and mass ABS (existing). On existing technology platforms we continuously work on incremental improvements with sites. The global rubber harmonisation for ABS Speciality rubber is a step change compared to existing technology at site and an important and complex project. We work closely with global R&D, regional RDC’s, plant sites and key equipment suppliers on technology improvements
- The Global Process Technology Engineer ABS has no direct reports. As the projects are organized in site/ regional teams, the job requires productive working relationships with cultural awareness and leading by technical authority, to ensure objectives are met. The job holder will lead, guide and align to overcome ambiguity, challenge and push back on projects. Collaboration inside company, within INEOS and with selected partners is critical for the success of the projects
- Translation of project requirements into an engineering package is technically complex and requires rigour, diligence and accuracy in Global Technology role. The role requires to work on complex technical information, consider alternative options in an early stage of a project and evaluate and decide on selected options in time for a next stage of a project. Technical information needs to be translated in meaningful and manageable information for decision making by different stake holders
- The job holder should act at or grow to a level that he/she is recognized across the company as the technical expert on ABS technology. He/ she should be recognized as discussion partner for sites, Global R&D and the business representatives on all ABS projects.
Responsibilities AND Accountabilities
- Understands and assures the INEOS Group Guidance Notes (IGGNs), INEOS 20 Principles of Behavioral and Process Safety are followed. Communicates and champions the IGGNs and INEOS 20 Principles to empower and enable others. Is an ambassador for Asset Care and preserves high standards of housekeeping and organization
- Develops and sustains Process Safety agenda of the company. Provides expert advice on process safety matters to sites and on projects by supporting Hazops and training on process safety aspects. Actively uses learnings industry wide
- Supports feasibility studies and development of capital projects. Supports long term asset strategy of company. Supports operations/ technology workstreams for possible acquisitions (due diligence etc.)
- Supports improvement, expansion and debottlenecking projects to support the growth agenda. Supports sites and project teams to select the best technology and latest improvements in the appropriate FEL stages. Provides expert advice in different project reviews. Acts as technical assessor and prepares technical statements for capital projects to assure that projects are meeting the required deliverables at the stage gate and the selected design will work as intended
- Accountable that design packages for projects are technically sound and technology risks are mitigated. Leads the validation of a proposed design by process modelling, lab testing, plant trials or equipment trials using internal and external resources. Ensures Global Technology is involved in projects at the right time
- Supports sites with expert advice to ensure cost efficient, reliable and available assets. Development and support provided of continuous improvement plans (Taskforces, GOMPlus etc) together with sites. Ensures best practices to apply and learnings. Lead and support plant trials and ensures appropriate preparation and management of change is applied
- Leads networking and global experience exchange to share best practices and apply learnings between operating sites. Develops a technology standpoint on best technology to be selected
- Builts and maintains a global network with sites, Technology colleagues, Global R&D, RDC centers, Product Stewardship, engineering companies and key equipment suppliers. Travels (20% to 40%) to production facilities worldwide, customers, suppliers, equipment manufacturers and for Global meetings as required
- Assures high quality communication on complex technical information. Leads data collection, analysis, find relationships and comparison of alternatives. Translates in fact based, meaningful and manageable information for decision making by different stake holders. Able to make timely and well-reasoned decisions. Reports timely on project progress and design choices
- Together with Global R&D acquires, studies, maintains and defends the technology, knowhow and intellectual property of the company. Maintains good competitive intelligence through IP, literature and benchmarking studies. Leads R&D projects at interface R&D and operations
- Develops ABS Technology and Innovation Roadmap through: assessment of proprietary technology versus competitive landscape, monitoring technology trends in the industry, assessment of new technologies and, together with global R&D, further development and optimization of ABS technology
Skills & Knowledge Required
- > 15 years of experience in polymer industry in technical roles on product development, process engineering, operation and/or projects.
- Recognized across the company as an ABS technical expert. > 10 years of experience working in R&D, RDC or operating plant on ABS.
- Experience project execution through our CapEx process
- Knowledge of SHE issues including INEOS 20 Principles, Life Saving Rules and IGGNs
- M.Sc. Degree in chemical engineering or mechanical engineering or
- M.Sc. Degree or Doctorate in chemistry with advanced engineering knowledge and skills
- Experience in process engineering in polymerisation processes.
- Detailed knowledge of polymer technology: kinetics (co)polymerisation, structure- mechanical properties relationships.
- Detailed knowledge of process equipment: reactor design, agitation, centrifugation, drying and extrusion.
- Experience with process modelling tools (e.g. AspenPlus) is desirable
Competencies, behavorial skills:
- Expert technical knowledge and broad and deep understanding of manufacturing processes and product technologies. Understanding of chemical engineering aspects and process safety aspects of polymerisation technology
- Ability to effectively work collaboratively with others towards mutual objectives. Team player with ability to motivate and inspire team members, achieve teamwork, maintain high standards, measure work in progress, and take corrective action
- Results oriented with project management skills with ability to set goals, plan, prioritize and organize work, involve right people, and utilize time effectively and efficiently.
- Good communication skills with ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner (both verbal and written) at different levels in the organisation and with the right communication tool
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to build long-term relationships and able to work with internal and external teams and different cultures
- Able to work with technical experts on comprehensive and complex technical information with ability to translate in meaningful and manageable information for decision making
- Good analytical skills with ability to solve broadly defined complex problems, identify key issues and relationships, while developing new solutions using expertise and acquired knowledge
Line Management Responsibility
If you have any question, please contact Cornelia Koecke phone +49 69 5095501200.
INEOS Styrolution Group GmbH, Mainzer Landstraße 50, 60325 Frankfurt, Germany
Clicking this link will take you to an external site where you can continue with your application