INEOS NITRILES USA LLC
Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees share in the ownership of the business and are empowered to make a difference?
Organizational context and job purpose
INEOS Nitriles is a global chemicals business with sales volume of 1200 kte and revenue in excess of $2.4 billion. The Nitriles business has 2 manufacturing operations in the US and 1 in Europe along with offices and headquarters in Rolle, Switzerland and Aurora, Illinois near Chicago. The Nitriles Business primary products include acrylonitrile, hydrogen cyanide, and acetonitrile. Additionally, Nitriles also has a Plant that produces catalyst for internal use at the Lima Site, globally within INEOS, and for other Acrylonitrile producers. The INEOS Nitriles Plant at Lima is part of an industrial campus which includes a refinery and chemical complex. INEOS shares services, utilities, products, and feedstocks with four adjacent manufacturing facilities: Nutrien (ammonia, urea, nitric acid), Fort Amanda Specialties (chelates), Ashland (1,4-butanediol), and Cenovus Refining (propylene, fuels, and refined oil products).
The Controls Systems Engineer works as part of the site’s Technical Engineering team and uses his/her technical expertise to manage the operation of the site’s Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS), the Distributive Control System (DCS) and instrumentation to proactively promote process safety initiatives. The incumbent interacts with Operations, Engineering, Maintenance, Safety, Environmental personnel, and third-party contractors. The scope of work includes all aspects of maintaining and further development of the site’s SIS systems, developing and assisting on new automation projects, instrument upgrades, and assisting with troubleshooting/repair/ and maintaining instruments and equipment. The employee would also provide back-up support to the site’s Controls Specialist.
The Total Quality Management System shall be incorporated into all job activities. All job activities should be executed in a safe and efficient manner consistent with the INEOS 20 Principles. The position is also accountable for asset engineer responsibilities for the integrity of instrumentation and safety systems as set out in the INEOS 20P.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provides technical support for the site’s Process Safety Management (PSM) program.
- Promotes the INEOS 20 Principles, INEOS Life Saving Rules and the implementation of the INEOS Group Guidance Notes (IGGN’s). Takes ownership of Safety Instrument Systems and Safety Integrity Level IGGN for the site.
- Leads and/or participates in safety reviews, Layers of Protection (LOPA) reviews/Calibrated Risk Graph, Process Hazard Analysis (PHA), SIS Studies, and incident investigations.
- Proficient in SIS system design and management requirements for the life cycle of equipment including concept, design, implementation, operation, and maintenance as required by IEC 61511/ISA 84.
- Participates in site review of LOPA scenarios and development of SIF designs and implementation of required upgrades.
- Develops SIS documentation for instrumented IPLs. Performs and oversees the completion of IPL verifications as required.
- Provides and assists with troubleshooting and maintaining pneumatic and electronic controls, instruments, and equipment.
- Continuously initiates ways to improve plant operations, safety and environmental performance through day-to-day activities and recommendations for optimized system maintenance.
- Establishes and executes process improvement plans for manufacturing including safety and environmental improvements.
- Collaborates on SIS systems, controls, and instrumentation technology with other INEOS locations.
- Develops automation projects for implementation as part of site initiatives to increase the level of automation.
- Takes active role in project development, economics, and execution. Assists in final bid package preparation and subsequent contract bidding and selection.
- Organizes field tests and consults with other specialists outside of the facility to solve operating issues.
- Assists on other Technical group efforts – Alarm rationalization, back-up to Controls Specialist, PI Historian work, training and development of technicians, I&E engineer, controls engineer.
- Remains on call for emergency trouble shooting and operations support.
- Networks with other site process control leaders to share and leverage knowledge and solutions.
- Ensures all work is done in a safe manner consistent with company, local, state, federal and health, safety and environmental regulations and procedures.
Skills & Knowledge Required
- In compliance with INEOS COVID protocols, candidate must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past last dose of COVID vaccine) prior to start date.
- BS Degree in Engineering and 5+ years of operations/process control experience in the chemical industry, or 10+ years of experience in Process Control Engineering.
- IEC 61511/ISA 84 working knowledge
- CFSP or CFSE certification is a plus
- Industrial control system DCS and PLC configuration experience preferred
- Process Hazard and Layer of Protection Analysis experience
- Root Cause Analysis
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong computational and data analysis skills
- Strong IT skills with process modelling and process simulation software
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Good negotiator and influencer
- Good team leader and motivator
- Willingly takes the lead when challenges occur
- Builds networks to enhance effectiveness and share knowledge
- Looks for ways to do things better, faster, and more efficiently
Expected Salary range
$112,000 - $130,000 based on experience
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.