INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA
Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees are empowered to make a difference?
Organizational context and job purpose
The O&P USA business includes the product lines Ethylene, Propylene, Butadiene, Polypropylene, Polyethylene, and Polyethylene Pipe. Manufacturing sites include Chocolate Bayou Works (Alvin, TX), Battleground Manufacturing Complex (LaPorte, TX), Carson (Carson, CA), and several WL Plastic division plants, with a division office in League City, TX. Overall O&P USA has ~ 1,900 employees, 1,100 contractors, and annual revenue of over $5 billion. The O&P USA business purchases significant quantities of Natural Gas Liquid feeds, naphtha, and energy commodities for the production of the above mentioned product lines.
How the Role Fits In:
This role serves as a Site Director & the Local Director of Finance & Accounting. This position supervises a team of five financial professionals who are responsible for providing compliance, financial reporting, accounting, analysis, budgeting, tax, cash management & expenditure approvals within delegations, internal controls, site audits, capital expenditures and financial planning ensuring the integrity of the Accounting and Financial. This scope covers four (4) physically separate sites that all have some level of integration, the Chocolate Bayou Manufacturing Site (Olefins and Polymers) “CBW”, Stratton Ridge storage and pipeline hub, Hobbs fractionating facility in West Texas and Pipelines Ineos wholly-owned pipeline system, representing over 516 miles of petrochemical pipeline. Major capital expansions are planned for the site that will add additional product lines and significant capacity not currently in place along with new material intercompany relationships that will need to be managed.
The Main Purpose of the Role:
The main purpose of the CBW Plant Controller position is to set the direction and supervise the accounting and financial reporting function. Develop with the SLT an overall strategy and direction and advise the SLT on key business issues and decisions such that the business delivers both short-term and long-term objectives. This includes monitoring compliance to the INEOS delegation of authority and internal control systems. This role has frequent interaction and must build relationships within the site. This position is very hands on. The site controller also supports the plant managers by serving on the site leadership team and participating in site goal setting as well as monitoring progress against the goals. The site controller has frequent interaction with CBW leadership team members and O&P business management in the Marina View (League City) office. A flexible work schedule is required to meet monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial book close deadlines.
Responsibilities AND Accountabilities
- This role is accountable for setting the framework for proper internal control environment and required compliance for the Sites. This includes defining and implementing cost controls/management and adherence to the delegation of authority.
- Supervision of five Professional / four Degreed Analysts and one Assist Controller
- Supervise and provide necessary support during the monthly financial close process so that the site financial results are accurately completed on a timely basis. This includes recording and reviewing accruals, overhead costs, capital projects cost, utilities, third party service bill-outs, feedstock and raw material consumption variable costs, etc.
- Review month end inventory recordings and mass balance of production and consumption activity, as well as quarterly physical inventory counts and reconciliations of process materials.
- Supervise preparation of monthly financial reports that summarize plant cost performance. Perform necessary variance and trend analysis on operating costs, capital spending, working capital investment, etc. to clearly interpret these results for management.
- Support and supervise compilation of the monthly site cost forecast update and variance explanations associated with changes to the forecast from the prior month. Supervise and assist plant management with preparation for quarterly cost reviews with O&P executive management. Also compile cost input for the INEOS site benchmarking (SICO) metrics.
- Supervise coordination and consolidation of the annual site fixed and variable cost budget. Provide explanations of plan assumptions and significant cost changes from the prior years.
- Support management interpretation of financial transactions, events, and INEOS policies for users who must make economic or business decisions.
- Oversee site financial processes related to capital spending authorizations, construction in process accounting, and fixed asset accounting. This includes review of project economics, and reporting actual project spending vs. authorized levels.
- Maintain and support INEOS internal control processes and the delegation of authority as it relates to financial processes and transactions. This includes review of internal control process documents and compilation of quarterly vendor spend forecast for approval by management.
- Supervise preparation and review monthly balance sheet reconciliations and follow up on any unresolved balance differences. Perform as the lead role in gathering and providing documentation for external audit requests as required and assist with annual physical inventory observations.
- Supervise the site property tax accounting and attend annual site inspection with Brazoria County tax appraiser. Also provide input as required for annual property tax rendition process and any other required tax incentive reporting.
- Support the six sigma quality process by acting as a financial tag for green and black belt projects. This also involves review of project costs and benefits as necessary.
- Provide key communications with the Cash Management/Systems Controller, Supply/Contract Manage, SHE Management, Tax Management, Logistics Management and Capital Projects Management
- Acting on behalf of the businesses as primary representative with, Auditors, Federal and State Government Reporting, Governmental taxing authorities, including Property and Sales & Use taxes, Fuel Tax
- Supervise and lead special projects as required, as directed by site or corporate management such as SAP set up, annual R&D cost credit review, etc.
- Conduct staff performance reviews along and annual performance objectives that align with overall site and business targets. This includes identification of training or skills development using available resources such as the INEOS academy.
- Responsible for practicing Behavioural and Process Safety Practices that meet or exceed Company, Site, and Project requirements
- Perform as the key interface for the sites with the Business Controllers and the CFO
Skills & Knowledge Required
Level of education & Experience in general
- B.S. in Accounting with 6-8 years relevant experience required.
- Extensive plant experience, Masters in business, accounting or CPA will be strongly considered as positives.
- Preference given to candidates with financial experience in a manufacturing environment.
Skills and Competencies
- SAP FI/CO/MM module knowledge (knowledge of other modules also a plus)
- Very strong analytical and problem solving ability.
- Knowledge of financial internal control processes.
- Chemical industries experience a plus.
- Superior Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel, are required.
- Knowledge of Property Tax, Fuel Tax and Texas Sales & Use Tax reporting
- Requires experience in team building, team management, and projects leadership.
- Strong organizational and time management skills – a good portion of the work in this role is deadline driven.
- Self-starting individual who can work with a minimum of direction.
- Must have good communication skills and be able to discuss and explain financial transactions and processes in a clear and concise way to individuals across the organization.
How to Apply
Please obtain line-manager approval before applying for this position.
Interested candidates should submit their resume and last two performance appraisals.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.