INEOS Olefins & Polymers USA
Interested in joining a winning team? A team whose employees share in the ownership of the business and are empowered to make a difference?
Organizational context and job purpose
INEOS is a global manufacturer of petrochemicals, specialty chemicals and oil products. It comprises 18 businesses each with a major chemical company heritage. Its production network spans 80 sites in 16 countries throughout the world.
The O&P USA business includes the product lines Ethylene, Propylene, Butadiene, Polypropylene and Polyethylene. Manufacturing sites include Chocolate Bayou Works (Alvin, TX), Battleground Manufacturing Complex (LaPorte, TX), and Carson (Carson, CA), with the headquarters located in League City, TX. INEOS offers a highly competitive compensation and benefits package.
How the Role Fits In:
The successful candidate will work as a member of the Analytical laboratory team located at the Battleground Site. The Analytical laboratory is responsible for providing services to assist in problem solving and sample analyses to the Manufacturing groups and to the Polymers Technical Service and Development group (TS&D).
The Main Purpose of the Role:
This is an applied role in which the Analytical Chemist will use his/her knowledge of different research techniques to assist in new polymer development, customer complaint resolution and production technical investigations. The Chemist will be assigned to the Gas Chromatography lab to perform testing to evaluate new catalysts, develop and improve lab operations/techniques, insure quality results, and complete investigations as necessary.
The Chemist will work on small and medium size issues and provide fast response to the business. He/she will work with peers in a cross-functional, team based environment to involve other techniques as needed to support product development and operations projects. The issues faced are wide-ranging, requiring a good awareness of Analytical Techniques and polymer structure/property relationships as well as plant processes. The role involves many aspects of lab management: safety, technical know-how, equipment maintenance and working with both peers and technicians. Statistical tools will be used as part of the Six Sigma company model.
Responsibilities AND Accountabilities
- Member of the Analytical team who supports the Catalyst Development Group, the Technical Center, and PE and PP Manufacturing
- Actively participates in safety programs, promoting safe practices and behaviors
- Technical trouble shooting
- Technical lead for key aspects of Laboratory management (safety, procedures, method development, training, equipment maintenance and purchase)
- Maintain laboratory area and equipment in outstanding conditions
- Technical support in several Analytical techniques
- Implement methods and solutions to respond quickly and efficiently to business and internal customer needs
- Prepare reports and provide technical recommendations and presentations
- Manage priorities for incoming requests of different sizes and scopes
- Interact with technicians and share their workload
Skills & Knowledge Required
Level of education & Experience in general
- B.S. Degree in Chemistry, Material Science, or equivalent.
- 3+ years of experience as an analytical chemist
- Experience in equipment utilization preferred (GC, chemical extraction/solubility methods, HPLC, ICP, …)
- Strong safety leadership
- Result oriented and performance bias
- Teamwork - Relationship skills – Flexibility
- Positive attitude - open to challenges and new ideas
- Creative and Customer oriented
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail
- Basic understanding of polymer structure/property relationships
- Effective communication skills: verbal and written
- Organized and capable of working under pressure to meet deadlines
- Able to effectively work on multiple tasks and prioritize work
The ideal candidate will have the ability to maintain GC equipment (including mass spectrometers), the flexibility to support one or more Analytical areas, and the capability to learn/apply different techniques to solve problems. He/She will be able to discuss their primary analytical technique in detail with requestors to provide appropriate support. There will be opportunities to learn and expand in other areas in response to business needs, especially into the Catalyst Development group for Polyolefins.
Candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Our culture is one of honesty and integrity with an emphasis on safety, health and environmental performance.On our team, people are acknowledged for embracing new practices that help create real value for customers.